http://imgur.com/a/jDLmo

Here you go, that what happens. And, when I run it as an admin it'll pop up for a mere second before.

I run the following security software:

ESET

Advanced System Care

Webroot Secure Anywhere

I've been running them before this problem occurred, this just happened out of the blue.
There you go, then. You have a permissions problem. You should right-click on the bin directory and open its properties, then go to the Security tab. I'm curious what you'll see in the settings there.

Oh, and this is hugely important: Get rid of Webroot and kill it with fire. Webroot is a piece of absolute garbage and has been known to interfere with things as simple as the ability to copy and paste in Dream Maker.
In response to Lummox JR
Okay, I got rid of Webroot. Now, I did all what you've asked of me. But, what am I looking for in the security tab?
I'd kind of like to see a screenshot of the permissions for each group in the security tab. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, but obviously you don't have the right permissions to execute the dreamseeker.exe file, so I imagine the screenshots will give me an idea of what's wrong.
In response to Lummox JR
http://imgur.com/a/5SDXT

Here you go, I hope I did what you asked for, lol.
Offhand I don't see anything there that should interfere with you running the file. I suggest checking the other files in the bin folder (especially byondext.dll, byondcore.dll, and byondwin.dll) and seeing if they give you the same results. And also look at the properties for the folder itself.
In response to Lummox JR
I'm starting to think it's a malware that's causing dreamseeker to act up. But, I've went ahead and did a full scan using Malware Byte and nothing came up.
In response to Lummox JR
General:

The program dreamseeker.exe version 5.0.509.1316 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 6b0
Start Time: 01d1e4e6986c150d
Termination Time: 42
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\dreamseeker.exe
Report Id: 0c31be9f-50da-11e6-9579-7c05070e0199

Detailed View:

+ System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Hang

- EventID 1002

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 101

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2016-07-23T13:33:36.000000000Z

EventRecordID 87366

Channel Application

Computer Mustafa-PC

Security

- EventData

dreamseeker.exe
6b0
01d1e4e6986c150d
C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\dreamseeker.exe
0c31be9f-50da-11e6-9579-7c05070e0199
55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 006E0055 006E006B 0077006F 0000006E
0008: 0000

In Bytes

0000: 55 00 6E 00 6B 00 6E 00 U.n.k.n.
0008: 6F 00 77 00 6E 00 00 00 o.w.n...
0010: 00 00
You said you updated BYOND, but that's still an old version.

Search Google for information on how to find your VirtualStore folder. If you find something from BYOND under that folder, delete it and reinstall BYOND.
I'm having a very similar problem--after a short time the window will either close and the process will hang in the background using about 40% CPU, or it'll hang in a similar way while open.

I've tried clearing the cache, reinstalling BYOND multiple times, and even hunting down and deleting every BYOND-related file that was on my computer. None of it worked. I've looked in VirtualStore and in my permissions, VirtualStore was empty and the permissions were the exact same as the picture seen earlier. Running dreamseeker.exe from the folder provides normal results up to the normal hang, and running BYOND as an administrator changes nothing either.

Here are my crash logs:
General
The program dreamseeker.exe version 5.0.510.1347 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 3750
Start Time: 01d2adc13d3d2981
Termination Time: 9
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\dreamseeker.exe
Report Id: a8b8a8e0-19b4-11e7-bfaf-08d40c93123b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Details:
+ System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Hang

- EventID 1002

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 101

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-04-05T04:02:22.608216600Z

EventRecordID 1133

Channel Application

Computer DESKTOP-IHGRKI5

Security

- EventData

dreamseeker.exe
01d2adc13d3d2981
C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\dreamseeker.exe
a8b8a8e0-19b4-11e7-bfaf-08d40c93123b

55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 006E0055 006E006B 0077006F 0000006E
0010: 0000

In Bytes

0000: 55 00 6E 00 6B 00 6E 00 U.n.k.n.
0008: 6F 00 77 00 6E 00 00 00 o.w.n...
0010: 00 00 ..

I use Avast Antivirus, but that hasn't caused any problems to date. I'll continue to try to figure out what I can do to solve this, but I hope to hear something back soon.
Just to be safe you could try disabling Avast to see.

To break into a hanging application, the best advice I can offer is to use the Windows debugging tools. Install those, and then run WinDbg and attach it to the hanging dreamseeker.exe. When WinDbg starts, type "~*" to get a list of threads. You can switch to a different thread via "~0s" (where 0 is the thread number; 0 is probably the number that will be relevant) and then if you type "kd", it will give you a long list of stack info. Once you have that info, you can copy the whole contents of the WinDbg window and send it over to me via pastebin or something.

If there isn't something external--like your antivirus software--causing the application to hang, then WinDbg should in theory be able to pull some info on that.

All that said, I should mention that there's one fairly obvious cause of hangs that should be ruled out first. If you're hosting the world, not just joining it remotely to play, then it's possible that soft DM code is causing the hang--but usually only if you've disabled world.loop_checks. So if this is only happening when you host a certain game or run your own code, then that's the place to look first.
Avast has been disabled to no avail. Also, this happens for every game I attempt to play--the only exception being Duel Monsters Genesis, which worked for a short time before hanging.

When I looked at the list of threads, thread 0 had an error message attached. Here is what that said:

0 Id: 2430.2e18 Suspend: 1 Teb: 00000000`00f9b000 Unfrozen
Start: *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\dreamseeker.exe
dreamseeker+0x583ef (00000000`00cd83ef)
Priority: 0 Priority class: 32 Affinity: f

After that, I switched to that thread and got the stack data. This pastebin contains the error that popped up when I switched (probably related to the one from before) as well as all of the data that listed. I hope this helps.

https://pastebin.com/shj9YixS
Thanks. That looks like it might have some info I can trace, so I'll see what I can come up with.
I'd like to add a bit more data.

That last post was full of data from a process that had started hanging while the window was still open. This post has to deal with a process where the window closed mid-hang.

First of all, this process has five less threads (the top thread going from 21 to 16). Though, the threads that remain look the same--thread 0 still has the exact same error, while the rest are normal.

Attaching the process this time came with an error, and judging from my own (small) amount of experience with computer science, one that -might- help. The error is as thus:

(3380.21fc): Break instruction exception - code 80000003 (first chance)
ntdll!DbgBreakPoint:
00007ffd`52099920 cc int 3

Finally, the stack data. This one looks much more error-ridden than the last, so I hope this helps to solve the problem once and for all.

https://pastebin.com/mtsY7yH8
Hmm! Thanks to your trace info (having two of them to compare was very helpful), I found something interesting that looks like a bug.

There's a routine called PutFont() that's supposed to look up default font names like serif, sans-serif, etc. If one of the default font names is found, it tries a substitute and re-checks. However due to an oversight on my part, the code that handles this is capable of producing an infinite loop.

One of two things is happening here on your end: Either you're missing one of the default fonts, or the routine that looks it up is failing somehow.

I'd like you to open up your Windows fonts directory (it should just be C:\Windows\Fonts) and look for MS Serif, MS Sans Serif, Courier (not Courier New), and System. Do you have all of those fonts installed? If not, that's probably the source of the trouble, and installing the missing fonts will likely fix your problem completely.

The problem should be fixed in the next release regardless thanks to your help, so the font thing is just a stopgap you can try. I have to say I'm not positive your issue was the same as Xyndart's, but at least it was identifiable and something I could fix.
Indeed. The only one I have is MS Sans Serif, though I do also have Courier New and System Bold, I'm assuming neither of those are what I need.

Where can I find MS Serif, Courier, and System? Looking around, they're not easy to find, and installing Microsoft Office doesn't seem to help.

EDIT: Found them. Just in case Xyndart has the same problem, they might be uninstalled but present on the computer, if you look up 'font [name of font]' in the C: drive you should find them. Just go into the folders that pop up and install every one of those.

Strange that they were present but not installed, though...
Did installing the fonts solve your problem?
It did. Though some fonts look a little strange and out of place, the games run just fine now.
Page: 1 2