ID:2227079

Redundant
Applies to:DM Language

This feature has already been implemented, or is already achievable with existing methods.
It would be neat if It were possible to do animate(src.icon, color for example. I wouldn't need to set a RESET_COLOR appearence_flag to every overlay. If there is a way around it please let me know :)
I don't entirely understand what you're asking. If you mean you want to be able to animate the main atom's color without affecting overlays, then RESET_COLOR is exactly the right way to handle that.
In response to Lummox JR
That's exactly what I mean. But I'd have to add the appearence_flag to every overlay, and that's bothersome.
In response to Lummox JR
He's asking for the /icon type to have its own color variable instead of just atoms and clients so that he can edit an icon's color without having to manually set appearance_flags for every overlay.
In response to Unwanted4Murder
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
He's asking for the /icon type to have its own color variable instead of just atoms and clients so that he can edit an icon's color without having to manually set appearance_flags for every overlay.

I don't think you're right, because /icon becomes an actual cache icon when applied to an atom.
In response to Lummox JR
He is right about what I want to do tho. I want to edit a mob's icon color without having to manually set appeanrece_flags for every overlay, for example.
That's what RESET_COLOR is for. This would be totally redundant.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Redundant)
In response to Lummox JR
It wouldn't be redundant imo. It would make my life way easier. Atm I have to set RESET_COLOR for every object that is used as an overlay. Wouldn't it be better if I could just change the mob's icon color without any hassle?
In response to NSBR
NSBR wrote:
It wouldn't be redundant imo. It would make my life way easier. Atm I have to set RESET_COLOR for every object that is used as an overlay. Wouldn't it be better if I could just change the mob's icon color without any hassle?

No, because it would involve having two different flags to do the same thing.
If anything RESET_COLOR should only need set once in the path of the object overlays. Not for each separately.
In response to Kozuma3
Could you perhaps show me how to do that? Thanks in advance.
The top way is how I believe you're doing it and the bottom way would be the easiest way imo.

obj
Hat
appearance_flags = RESET_COLOR
Shirt
obj/clothes
Hat
Shirt
In response to Kozuma3
Yeah the bottom way is the way I'm doing it. The problem is I set large ammounts of overlays, some don't have a parent and many are added just using the .dmi file.
In response to NSBR
NSBR wrote:
Yeah the bottom way is the way I'm doing it. The problem is I set large ammounts of overlays, some don't have a parent and many are added just using the .dmi file.

Then don't do that. Make a type for it.
In response to Lummox JR
It'd be way easier if there were an appearence_flag to add to the mob, were it's overlays wouldn't get any color set to them. Like RESET_OVL_COLOR
In response to NSBR
NSBR wrote:
It'd be way easier if there were an appearence_flag to add to the mob, were it's overlays wouldn't get any color set to them. Like RESET_OVL_COLOR

That's never going to happen, because RESET_COLOR handles it already. The new flag would be redundant, and there simply isn't room for umpteen flags.