ID:2227254

Not a bug
BYOND Version:N/A (Website Bug)
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium
Web Browser:Firefox 52.0
Applies to:Website

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Perhaps because firefox has decided to stop supporting NPAPI plugins as of version 52 ( https://support.mozilla.org/t5/ Problems-with-add-ons-plugins-or/ Why-do-Java-Silverlight-Adobe-Acrobat-and-other-plugins-no/ ta-p/31069 ) byond:// style links in the browser will no longer attempt to log you in to a server in byond.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Have the most recent version of firefox
2. Try to click a byond formatted link (example: byond://sybil.game.tgstation13.org:1337 )

Expected Results:
I get into the server

Actual Results:
Nothing happens

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time
In other games? Every Game
In other user accounts? Every Account
On other computers? Every Computer

When does the problem NOT occur? When not using firefox 52.

Workarounds: Don't use firefox 52

The plugins have nothing to do with whether you'll join a server; it's whether the URL protocol was installed correctly. The plugin is merely a detector for whether BYOND is installed, so the site can tell you to download the software first via an intermediary page. (That intermediary page also should set a cookie if you tell it you have BYOND installed anyway.)

I just tested a link from a hub entry page on BYOND and it worked normally.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Unverified'
Well trying from the hub entry I did indeed get the "install byond" intermediary page you're talking about. I hit the "continue" link for having byond installed and it presented the same behavior I originally described, nothing happened after that point.

I'm on the latest beta build, 511.1377 I didn't think it was relevant at the time but maybe it is? I'll try reinstalling just to be safe.

Edit: Reinstalling didn't help.

Edit2: Updating Firefox also didn't help.
After some off site tech support it was figured out to be a local thing. Somehow the application settings for byond:// was pointing at some deleted version of byond.exe instead of the real one. Not a problem I had encountered before so I wasn't aware it was a thing. Timing with Firefox 52 apparently just a huge coincidence
Glad to hear it worked out.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)