ID:2228000

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
The ability to compile a source into a EXE via DreamMaker.

Keep the ads, keep the splash screen.. let us market and get BYOND off of BYOND and away from the pager pl0x.

Doing so will open up so many opportunities for new users to catch wind and move over towards BYOND and allow us developers to have confidence in our projects rather than feel like we're using a slightly better version of Scratch.

BYOND needs this, the developers need this, we need this.
+1
This doesn't seem like a useful feature to implement right now. There is already a way to do this using the executable.

The developers should be focusing more on the WebUI and client, not spend time on additional functionality to the IDE when it's an already a stand alone tool.
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
This doesn't seem like a useful feature to implement right now. There is already a way to do this using the executable.

The developers should be focusing more on the WebUI and client, not spend time on additional functionality to the IDE when it's an already a stand alone tool.

If we could compile the EXE in the IDE it would make building a project that much faster and easier on those of us who can't get through the damn text file instructions. It would also make the language and IDE that much more beneficial to BYOND having everything needed centralized. If that isn't considered "time well spent" then I honestly have no clue on where it hopes to go.
+1

(and to answer Flame Sage, if you tried the BYONDexe tool you'd know that it's simply an html file that you can customize and that has a "Join" button which means it only works for online games currently hosted on a hub)
In response to Kidpaddle45
Wat
In response to Kidpaddle45
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
+1

(and to answer Flame Sage, if you tried the BYONDexe tool you'd know that it's simply an html file that you can customize and that has a "Join" button which means it only works for online games currently hosted on a hub)

This would be unlikely to change if the option was opened up as this suggestion asks.

This is so insanely easy to emulate that a byond provided solution isn't even necessary.

Grab any installer system, have it copy over (to program files) the zip version of byond of your choice, your dmb/rsc, and make a link to launch dream seeker with args pointing to your dmb in the start menu.
If you wanted to get fancy, you could bundle all of these things as RDATA into a exe and have it auto-extract to a temp folder or do fancy shit and live load the exe and dlls directly into the memory of the shell process.
+1

Byond 2.0
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
If you wanted to get fancy, you could bundle all of these things as RDATA into a exe and have it auto-extract to a temp folder or do fancy shit and live load the exe and dlls directly into the memory of the shell process.

Yeah but many of us simple users don't know how to do things like that...
In response to NSBR
But it only takes one to make a 3rd party tool to do so.
In response to CrimsonVision
I'll be waiting then...
+1
In response to MrStonedOne
One could argue that if it's that easy it should be built in by default.

I've heard that same logic applied to tons of things in this community over the time I've been here.

"features".
Successful engines do have them--yes by the hundreds and thousands.

Unity, Gamemaker, RPGMaker -- all of them have options for porting games into packaged EXEs.

RPGMaker even packages games to make them steam ready, as does Game Maker and Unity. I realize you good folks seem to think that this is some kind of angle, some sinister plan that you can't see the logic behind but I assure you, this is Level 1 stuff.

Is Byond any of these suites? No. But I think if you want to be successful and turn things around you have to, at bare minimum, keep up with the crowd to begin even competing.

If excuses like these are constantly used to justify not adding the most basic features to an engine that is already far behind the norm. then that's just where you will stay.

At the back of the class.
In response to Avidanimefan
Avidanimefan wrote:
One could argue that if it's that easy it should be built in by default.

Just because something is easy doesn't mean it should be built in by default. If we used that logic game engines would be extremely bloated.

However, I do agree that an exe option is a must. An exe option is pretty much mandatory for any modern game engine.
Inb4notfeasible
You know it's sad when 'Not Feasible' becomes a meme... Lol.
Just to weigh in here and end speculation about whether or not I'd have an interest in this, I think the concept of an easy .exe that still does the ads is actually a pretty good idea.
In response to Lummox JR
eta when? lol
Page: 1 2 3 4 5