ID:222894

(See the best response by Shadow813.)
Descriptive problem summary: whenever i want to join a game, i click join and the blue box comes up saying opening world then it says launching byond or something like that. Then that's it nothing else happens, it just freezes at the launch screen.

Numbered steps to reproduce problems: 1. click 'join' for the game i want to play. 2. blue box pops up. 3. says opening world or something. 4. then says Launching byond then stops there.

Expected Results: the game i want to play to pop up.

Actual Results: the blue box coming up and freezing at "launching Byond"

Does the problem occur
Eveytime?:Yes this problem has happened since yesterday.
In other games?: yep
In other user accounts:yep
On other computers:I only use my laptop

When does the problem Not occur: It always occured...since yesterday

Workarounds: I cleared my cache but it didn't resolve the problem.
I have a very similar problem when trying to join The Saloon, but no other games.
Best response
I haven't had any trouble joining any games or downloading resources. If you have a different web browser, try using one of them and see if that works. Sometimes my Fire Fox messes up with BYOND and my Chrome browser works just fine with it.
I tried chrome but still having the same results.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling BYOND. Make sure you have no instances of dream seeker open, then go to the pager > File > preferences > Games > Clear Cache ( I seen you tried this already, but trying again never hurts :)) > OK > OK.

Hope this helps.
In response to Higoten
Higoten wrote:
Try uninstalling and reinstalling BYOND. Make sure you have no instances of dream seeker open, then go to the pager > File > preferences > Games > Clear Cache ( I seen you tried this already, but trying again never hurts :)) > OK > OK.

Hope this helps.

Still getting same issue
Alright, then lets try manually clearing the cache (Just in case that button isn't working for whatever reason).

To do this, on your computer, go to My Documents > BYOND > cache, and delete this folder named cache.

If Windows flashes you with an alert that it was unable to delete the folder because its in use, ensure that any DS instance is closed, and that the BYOND pager is off. If it still gives you this error, you may have to delete it in safe mode.

If you try this and your still getting stuck on the splash screen, can we know the name of the game you are trying to connect to, and any games that you are able to connect to successful?

You said that connecting was fine up until yesterday, did you happen to make any significant changes to your computer? such as updating BYOND, installing a new antivirus, etc?
still not working.
Most games I've tried so far aren't launching.
My computer just got fixed not to long ago because it was devastated by viruses. So my dad had to put the windows disk into my laptop to reinstall it. He also installed some antivirus programs into my laptop like: AVG, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, Super antispyware and CCleaner. Do these programs have something to do with byond games not launching?

Btw, i didn't reinstall byond on my laptop until yesterday...and that's when this whole problem started.
There is a good chance that having that huge array of "protection" on your computer is actually just hindering your ability to use your computer.

Does your BYOND pager connect? If it doesn't then there's a good chance that BYOND is being blocked by one of those firewalls.

If it does connect, there's still a chance that Dream Seeker itself is being blocked. However you said "most games", which I gather means that some games have connected.

How is your internet connection(click)? You might not be able to connect to most things because your connection is really slow and it's timing out.
In response to Mikau
My internet connection is fine and none of the all of the games i've tried to join get stuck on the Launching box.
In response to Ban67589
Ban67589 wrote:
My internet connection is fine and none of the all of the games i've tried to join get stuck on the Launching box.

When you try to connect, does it just hang with the blue splash screen, or does it show a percentage bar stop partway through?

Ban67589 wrote:
He also installed some antivirus programs into my laptop like: AVG, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, Super antispyware and CCleaner.

You're going to have to check all of these programs, as well as Windows Firewall to make sure that they are set to allow BYOND and Dream Seeker to connect. I highly recommend you find a program that you like for protection (I use Avast), and stick with it instead of using a blanket approach for protection.
In response to Ban67589
Ban67589 wrote:
my dad had to put the windows disk into my laptop to reinstall it.

I'm gonna throw this out there, but are you a Administrator on your computer?

If your dad set any sort of parental controls on your computer, its possible those could also be interfering with BYOND's connectivity.
In response to Mikau
Mikau wrote:
Ban67589 wrote:

When you try to connect, does it just hang with the blue splash screen, or does it show a percentage bar stop partway through?
When i try to connect it hangs at the blue splash screen.
Ban67589 wrote:
He also installed some antivirus programs into my laptop like: AVG, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, Super antispyware and CCleaner.

You're going to have to check all of these programs, as well as Windows Firewall to make sure that they are set to allow BYOND and Dream Seeker to connect. I highly recommend you find a program that you like for protection (I use Avast), and stick with it instead of using a blanket approach for protection.

I've used these programs before and never had a problem like this.
In response to Higoten
Higoten wrote:
Ban67589 wrote:
my dad had to put the windows disk into my laptop to reinstall it.

I'm gonna throw this out there, but are you a Administrator on your computer?
Yes, i'm an administartor
If your dad set any sort of parental controls on your computer, its possible those could also be interfering with BYOND's connectivity.
I don't think he did.
In response to Ban67589
Ban67589 wrote:

Then what's happening is that Dream Seeker is unable to connect to the game you're trying to join, which is a problem caused by your firewall.

Ban67589 wrote:

I don't doubt you did use them before, but you also said that your father freshly installed things, which means that all of the previous settings are now gone. You will have to go back into the settings and allow BYOND to connect again. More importantly, allowing the dreamseeker.exe to connect.
In response to Mikau
Mikau wrote:
Ban67589 wrote:

Then what's happening is that Dream Seeker is unable to connect to the game you're trying to join, which is a problem caused by your firewall.

Ban67589 wrote:

I don't doubt you did use them before, but you also said that your father freshly installed things, which means that all of the previous settings are now gone. You will have to go back into the settings and allow BYOND to connect again. More importantly, allowing the dreamseeker.exe to connect.

when i go to windows firewall it says "Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings."
Is your Windows firewall turned off?

That seems to be the response from google on that error.

Or my guess is you aren't ADMIN ...

Look and see if you have any other firewalls, typically installing another firewall turns off Windows by default.
thx i just eleted cache and its working for me now ...