ID:2233119

It's April and spring is underway, by which I mean it's actually snowing outside.

This week I've gotten somewhat back on track, and I've released 511.1379 which contains a few important bug fixes. One big client-side fix deals with an issue we've had forever, that may be responsible for some of the hang-ups certain users have experienced--but only if their Windows installation is missing some key fonts. Also there's a prospective fix to the problem of shell() causing hangs on Linux systems, plus some other macro bugs that were unrelated (thank goodness) to the previous macro fixes.

All in all, I think 511 is now pretty solid and just about ready to get the stable stamp.

Web work has continued too, but more slowly, and I'm hoping to get back into a better swing on that next week. There are some requests for the subscription system that I've been needing to get to for a while, mostly UI stuff for the convenience of authors. and that's just about top priority.

Again I want to thank all the BYOND Members and donors for their support. It really wouldn't be possible to do all this without you, so many thanks from the bottom of my heart. And thanks too for all the kind words after last week, which was very bleak on a personal level; this week has been marginally better, but I think that's gonna take a lot of time.

In spite of the snow today, it looks like we'll have pretty decent weather to start out next week, which means I have to get my grill ready for action. Dust off your tongs and gather your marinades, because it's very nearly the most wonderful time of the year.
All in all, I think 511 is now pretty solid and just about ready to get the stable stamp.

I'd say The lack of a warning for if you accidentally do = in a if() is the last key thing from /tg/'s perspective that should be fixed.

It's what's blocking /tg/ moving the target build version to 511
Adding a warning for the = case is a tricky thing.
Mind think alike that is the word of the day Lummox
Lummox just don't allow = in the if in the first place, it's ridiculous

it's gonna save one or two people a line or two of code and it's just gonna cause a bunch of subtle bugs for everyone else.

I don't understand why you would even add it as a feature. If people want to write confusing compact code there is plenty in Byond for them to use already.
Bugs resulting from that already starting happening for us competely separate to them.
Yea I accidently changed everyones race variable in my game because I was careless and forgot an equal sign. It can be pretty damaging for something that's basically intended to save a few lines and some checks in rare cases
if((git = gud()))
if(type = oh)
Actually as it turns out, doing a warning for = in a condition was easier than I expected. I can't seem to find the feature request for it, though.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Actually as it turns out, doing a warning for = in a condition was easier than I expected. I can't seem to find the feature request for it, though.

Would it be possible to have such a warning be toggle-able with a #define? Just in case all of the accidental cases were found, so the warning could disappear.
If you want to do it on purpose, you just need to enclose the expression in extra parentheses.
In response to Lummox JR
Ahh, didn't catch that. Good to know.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I can't seem to find the feature request for it, though.

You could search for it.

Oh, wait.
Thank you based lummox you have saved us many hours
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
You could search for it.

Oh, wait.

Found and closed it.