ID:2240442

In games where the CPU is low and my connection is fine, I still notice 'stutters' in movement, and during gameplay where there's a lot of moving objects. This gets progressively worse depending on how intense things are, where those 'stutters' become 2 second freezes.

Is this a problem that can be fixed, or is it native to BYOND? Does it more or less mean that BYOND games can never be truly smooth?

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1917533 There were a lot of improvements to the webclient's performance but it never reached a satisfactory level where things felt salvageable, for example.

I don't feel like this gets talked about enough, and it's probably the biggest issue the engine has. Maybe it doesn't get spoken about because there's nothing productive to say outside of 'the engine is slow' since the users can't profile in the same way you could with the webclient, where you can see the engine's functions and their performance.

I'm mostly wondering if there are ways to improve on the issue.
I also heard that it's down to how DM handles their networking, with the player having to wait for the server to respond. The sorts of hiccups that wouldn't be noticeable in more modern engines cause visible latency in BYOND. The developer is unable to account for lag in things like player movement: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_timing
That's a very good question, I'm curious to know if there is anything that can be done or is it just something that was made wrong in the engine from the start?
There's some serious form of "build up" happening that causes the progressively terrible performance in all games.

There's been occurrences in my project where I'm hosting locally with only myself connected, standing idle and doing nothing with nothing else going on in the world. I'll finally decide to move after a little while and the screen lag is so bad that a full logout is necessary (close the window completely).

It's also noticeable whenever I find myself checking out other games, and becomes even more noticeable the more active you are.

Unfortunately this has been a thing for a long while now and I don't remember much about when this problem started exactly. One thing I am sure of: In the past (pre Lummox JR), the problem did not exist or was minimal to the point that one never noticed it during extended play sessions. Over time though, this issue slowly crept into existence, at first being shrugged off as game lag until people realized it's happening everywhere -- so pinpointing the time frame on this issue is difficult.
In response to FKI
FKI wrote:
There's some serious form of "build up" happening that causes the progressively terrible performance in all games.

There's been occurrences in my project where I'm hosting locally with only myself connected, standing idle and doing nothing with nothing else going on in the world. I'll finally decide to move after a little while and the screen lag is so bad that a full logout is necessary (close the window completely).

It's also noticeable whenever I find myself checking out other games, and becomes even more noticeable the more active you are.

Unfortunately this has been a thing for a long while now and I don't remember much about when this problem started exactly. One thing I am sure of: In the past (pre Lummox JR), the problem did not exist or was minimal to the point that one never noticed it during extended play sessions. Over time though, this issue slowly crept into existence, at first being shrugged off as game lag until people realized it's happening everywhere -- so pinpointing the time frame on this issue is difficult.

Can confirm that this happens exactly like he explained (it "builds up" as time passes on server"), I also want to add that it's even more noticable/lag starts faster when multiple mobs are in the same view.
Lummox JR wrote:
I'm thinking what I might try to do here--though this is very much a crapshoot--is to see if the images can be pre-displayed during the load, hidden behind the splash, in order to frontload all of the ImageDecode functions and possibly also texImage2D. This is iffy because the last time I took a foray into preloading, I ran up against a Chrome bug that used way too much memory up front and wouldn't let it go. But that was to get alpha maps, whereas this is a little different, so I'm hoping Chrome won't do things quite the same way.

Did you ever get around to trying this, Lummox? Any word on that Chrome bug?
According to YutPut there are also FPS issues with machines that have AMD cards, which mine does. So maybe that has something to do with it.
In response to Writing A New One
Writing A New One wrote:
According to YutPut there are also FPS issues with machines that have AMD cards, which mine does. So maybe that has something to do with it.

I was thinking this too while I was reading through the thread you posted. It seemed like there has to be some sort of reason that performance is so drastically different between PCs. For instance, I was playing Casual Quest in the Webclient with Kaio the other day and it performed exactly the same as it does in DS.
Can anyone try the demo I've posted here and let me know if they lag as well. This may be the cause of the performance issues we've been having:

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2242049#comment22569567
Seems like you've found something but I think it's a separate issue from what I was referring to.

But yeah, weird all those mobs would cause that much sluggishness. The maptext alone is fine though (if that was meant to be tested too).