ID:2243452

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Just a small feature request but it would be a nice idea to add a function where you can make a file directory ignored. This would be really helpful as some folders could contain 1000+ resources which for me personally makes Dream Daemon load lot slower than it normally does so I have to remove all the files from that directory and put in to another one that not include them in the .rsc.

Just a thought.
Resources that aren't included by the code can be removed from the resource file by using the Clean Compile command (or by simply deleting the resource file and recompiling). Of course, they won't get added if they're not referenced in the first place.
I mean for example: You have a save file directory with everyones save files. There is a good chance that will build up thus slowing down boot time of Dream Maker. (This is if unless you host on another server) or you need a folder in there that reads files that are not present in the .rsc such as custom icons and stuff.

I'm suggesting a way that people can put in a directory and Dream Maker ignores it.
In response to DevDuelist
That's a completely different reason from your original post... I don't think Dream Maker's startup time is affected that much by one folder in the root directory; it might lag when you expand it in the file tree, but that's to be expected, so you would have to organize better with subfolders.

Unused resource files don't affect the .rsc file or Dream Daemon's startup time at all.
Sorry if I didn't explain it properly in the first place. But I've had boot up issues with like 1000+ images in one folder and when I remove them, it's boot time is fine.
There is indeed more overhead the more files there are branching off the root game directory, even if the tree is collapsed all the way down. Dream Maker still keeps track of something in regards to those files (can't say what, I have no idea) that causes it to take longer for each one. Seems to only be a startup time issue, I'm guessing it's scanning folders to see if 'Show all files' should include/exclude them when used or something.

I think someone like Shadowdarke mentioned this a long time ago when he accidentally hit 'show all files' on a fairly large project and made Dream Maker crawl when starting up (but it was fine after that).

I honestly think the only two solutions are either the selective ignore thing this topic tried to express, or ditching that terrible, terrible treeview control for something easier to control and organize.
However, enabling FILE_DIR will dramatically slow down the compile time if you have a lot of files inside of [path], instead of it just slowing down once when starting up.
Ideally, make it ignore hidden files/folders if it doesn't already, then make those folders/files hidden.

Lummox has shown he can be allergic to making new guis so this is likely to be the best solution.
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
Ideally, make it ignore hidden files/folders if it doesn't already, then make those folders/files hidden.

Lummox has shown he can be allergic to making new guis so this is likely to be the best solution.

I love that idea. I'd actually be surprised if hidden files and folders aren't already skipped.
They're not.