ID:2243718

Not Feasible
Applies to:Webclient

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
Simply put, the ability to run a game in webclient sans existing server, by whatever means. If this feature exists already, I don't know how to use it.

Implementation-wise, perhaps it could have support for pointing directly to DMB files? The Pager does something like that for local files, I think.

The biggest reason for this suggestion is off-site viability. The webclient allows us to run BYOND games off-site, but it chains us to existing servers and really isn't ideal for single-player experiences. If the webclient were able to function independently, games could easily and successfully be uploaded to sites like Newgrounds, packaged into APKs and used on phones, etc.

Even if this won't actually be added, I'd like to know if something like this is possible.
The webclient is just that, a client. Porting the server part of the system (the part that actually interprets the dmb file) to the same setup isn't feasible.
Nadrew resolved issue (Not Feasible)
Would be nice if there was a way to silently boot a server on localhost. Single player web client games would be a pretty big edge with how much more efficient games that don't have high latency requirements are and how quickly BYOND prototypes ideas. It would be a nice platform for developers to prototype a game, throw it on the internet for feedback, and then switch to another engine before launch... or even just simple little games like on Newgrounds and Kongregate.

Pretty sure that would be impossible though, since there'd be nowhere to launch Daemon from without the end user having the DM suite (or at least DD) installed. C'est la vie.
I've actually done a CEF wrapper that was basically a package with a small CEF program, Dream Daemon, the game, and the files needed to run it. When you launched the CEF program it would fire up DD with the game running invisible-like and direct you to the localhost webclient.

Worked pretty good, and violated the balls out of BYOND's ToS.
In response to Nadrew
Fair dues. Have you and Lummox spoken about maybe like... collaborating on that, since you basically already did the work anyway?
I figure he'd be better off doing his own take on it with a more standalone-y setup for the file distribution. Mine was hacky at best and there's not a ton I can do with it now that my laptop is done.