ID:2245025

Tittle pretty much sums it up.

I mainly play SS13.
So, whenever I try to load an UI in the Paradise/Nanotrasen server, It simply gives me an 'webpage could not load'.
I simply can not load anything from the game.

I tried another game, and some things loaded, but UIs did not.

Tried some stuff from the internet, but nothing. So... Send help, pls.
The most likely cause of this is that you have a firewall misconfigured. Your firewall and any security software should give the full BYOND suite full access to the Internet.
I wish it was. I have completely disabled those.
Oh, wait, I know what this is. Somehow it sailed over my head that this issue is mostly server-specific.

Paradise apparently has yet to fix a problem with their UI stuff, in that the server it's coming from is not configured properly for AJAX requests from another domain or origin. In the past the browser control was more lenient about this--although it really shouldn't have been.

What you need to tell them--I've said this on Reddit and apparently this server, at least, did not listen--is tell them they need to add CORS headers to their webserver that handles all the AJAX stuff for the game. Specifically, they need to add this header to all HTTP responses involved:

Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *

Basically any server where UIs aren't loading, ever, has this problem. Most of the big ones have fixed this issue at their end long before now, because a lot of them kept up with ongoing changes with the beta builds.
Paradise coder here - We don't actually use any external servers for any of our UIs. The only AJAX/XMLHttpRequest requests we actually use are in reference to files loaded into the user's cache.
Maybe you can show me what one of the HTML pages for your UI looks like, once it's delivered to the end user, and how your AJAX request is set up.
It's hard to know exactly which UIs Madness Lord is referring to; We have four distinct UI systems.

There's plain browse() windows with all of their HTML hardcoded in document-text, that haven't been touched in years and contain little to no JavaScript.

Second, we have a simple abstract browser datum. The datum browser serves as a wrapper for JS/CSS resources and HTML, and contains a default CSS file. https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/blob/master/code/ datums/browser.dm
There's only two /datum/browser UIs that actually uses JS, the "chess board" (no network connectivity) and the lobby new player window (it doesn't even bother to load jQuery, all it does is disable anchor links for one second when the window loads, to avoid misclicks)

Third, we have "NanoUI", which is the most JS-heavy UI system. It's main function is to update a UI window via output() to a hardcoded function, which then communicates with all of NanoUI's javascript modules, located at https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/tree/master/nano/ scripts/nano
The only uses of ajax are done here, and here, both are referring specifically to "template" files which are all sent to the client via browse_rsc when they first open a nanoUI window (we have a seperate system that caches these resources, to avoid sending 100+ files every time a UI opens).

Fourth, we have a browser-output taken from the last release of Goonstation. It basically replaces the default BYOND output with a browser window, and uses JavaScript to send output and sanitize it, mostly using jQuery. The only instance of it using external http requests is here, but all it actually does is transfer data to a new browser window that it opens if you click a certain button.
I believe the ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP") fallback is no longer relevant to any embedded browser code; you can very likely remove that with no adverse effects.

I suppose it would help for Madness Lord to provide some screenshots, as that would clear up some of the confusion.
You guys speak so complicated. Well, do you know that first screen we get? The Setup Character, Declare Ready/Join the Round screeen. That doesn't load.

Other than that, the chat doesn't load either. Nothing shows up, not the rules, not the welcoming message, OCC. Nothing. It just stays blank for a while, then it shows the same screen that IE shows when there is no internet.
I'm going back to my first theory then. Something on your system is interfering.