ID:2248908

So I'm curious how much interest there is for a MOBA-style game on BYOND? I'm currently working on a sidescroller version of one and I wanted to bounce the idea around and see what people think.

It will have unique characters, each with different abilities and play style.
There is already most of the basic gameplay groundwork done (defense turrets, minion waves, bases) and I am going to be at the point where I need some testers soon.

I haven't decided on an art style or theme yet, and I figured I'd bounce some ideas around with players. Any thoughts?
I know Ter was at one point working on a MOBA-ish game. I don't know what ever became of that.

I only played one side-scroller MOBA and I didn't really like it, but I don't like MOBAs in general. Good luck though!
I haven't really played a MOBA-style game, before, but it sounds fun!
Funnily enough, I started messing around with the idea of a MOBA a few days ago.

Obviously it's more of a concept at the minute, getting the main framework into place before I focus on artwork.
Well I haven't gotten far enough to the point of artistic or character direction, so I guess anime is a possibility (one I'd prefer to not use). Most of what I've done so far is movement, enemy AI, and some of the basic physics. But the few people that have popped in to help test stuff have given a lot of positive feedback and there isn't even much to do yet.
My opinion on online PvP games is that there needs to be something to do to pass the time while you wait for other people to log in to join your team or battle against you. So, I think artificial intelligence for enemies and/or ways to mine or upgrade your weapons are a must. I'm afraid I've logged into a lot of BYOND PvP games that looked awesome, but then found I couldn't play at all until somebody else joins. Well, more people join when there is already somebody playing, so it was harder to get a game going.
For instance, I am a big, big fan of SilkWizard's "Proelium"
http://www.byond.com/games/SilkWizard/Proelium
but there are not as many players on as there used to be, so I log in from time to time and get nostalgic about some maps, but with no enemies or teammates. I saw that Silk Wizard made his "Proelium 2"
http://www.byond.com/games/SilkGames/Proelium2
but since people weren't logged in, I wasn't really able to play.

Another example: Lummox JR's "Incursion" looks like a lot of fun!
http://www.byond.com/games/LummoxJR/Incursion
It is even featured on the BYOND homepage. It looks fun! But, at least two players are needed to play. I would like it if it had a single player mode, something like the old Gemfire game I used to play for SNES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dpCXrO301Y
I'd started pre-designs of a team-based brawler with different characters and archetypes about a couple years ago, but the gameplay would have been more akin to Overwatch than a traditional moba.

I started work long before overwatch came out, but we didn't really know much about it. The actual design turned out to be strikingly similar to Overwatch, which was coincidental, but just proves the point that ideas are a dime a dozen and that it's the execution that makes it good. (the ultimate charging mechanic for example)
I will most likely be programming in a basic AI for each character to fill in empty spots on the teams.
In response to Woo
For the record, Incursion is one of the best games on BYOND. I'd be down to play it any time if each game didn't take 5 hours. :p
I'm also down for Incursion, it's a shame Lummox never made it possible to host it with Linux Dream Daemon properly, I'd put a 24/7 up for it.
In response to Nadrew
#windowsmasterrace

Edit: Huh, I actually can't host Incursion either. It works in Daemon, but the game needs a bootstrap to run and it fails to open ports when I try to host from Seeker.
Yeah, it's kind of a pain to host in anything but Seeker because of how Lummox did host commands and the sort. It's a bummer too because if it was up all the time I'm sure people would be playing it.

Game could use a good update, wonder if Lummox even has the source anymore (I'd be terrified to recreate it, that game is a masterpiece)