ID:2250387

After BYOND update, the platformer game isn't responding like it was supposed to:

Hi, y'all. Did anyone experience any issue like this?
So I've been on a break from continue making my new game. The HUD was not visible anywhere, but I found the solution (Which supposedly was that the layer can't reach more than 9999). Now there are more issues like performance. The base I made using DM used to take a lot of resources, but now it's ludacris! I've noticed that the performance is poor now. And I don't know if it has anything to do with this but,

She was able to reach that platform. Why was this update necessary anyways?

Moved to Developer Help, because this is not a bug report.

What version were you using before the update to 511? Because the last time HUD behavior changed was not in 511, but in 510. It was labeled as a breaking change--and even then would not have impacted older games--so it would be more visible. If you've been away a long time, it's a very good idea to go through past release notes to find what's changed. There's also a post, 510 features in brief (which covers 508-510), and another post, 511 features in brief, that should help. Obviously I don't expect anyone to have known about those posts, but the release notes are all right there.

For the performance issues I would have to know more about your game. In general, 510 and 511 should have shown major boosts to performance. The only place where there was a big exception was with maptext, which now uses 510's KEEP_TOGETHER by default, and that was changed in a newer 511 build to 1) avoid that when possible, and 2) reuse temporary drawing surfaces for better performance. So even that I would think is unlikely to be the culprit.

I'm quite happy to take a look at your code and perhaps do some profiling to identify where performance might be faltering. If you want you can send me a private message with a link.

I can also suggest some tips here. Like for instance if you have a big background done as a screen object, with a screen_loc like "NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST" or something similar, that's going to create a lot of little tiles; you're far better off using a screen_loc of "CENTER" and then using transform to scale it wider.