ID:2253387

(See the best response by Nadrew.)
I was wondering if a dev ever see's this post if there will ever be any plans for allowing byond servers to use more than one core to run it, one of the servers that are running is running out of custom features as I like to put it with only 1 CPU keeping the server going since ss13 is a semi CPU heavy game to run.
Best response
There's no plans for the foreseeable future to make BYOND properly multi-threaded or 64-bit.
I'd like to see multithreading for MySQL, since the single threaded version chokes out an entire server if it has to wait too long for a query response. Other than that, I don't really care one way or the other.
You could probably thread off the execution using a dll or a middle-man, but definitely not ideal. Unfortunately I think it would take a massive amount of dev-time for Lummox to even remotely do that (look at what happened the last time threading was tried)
In response to Nadrew
Yeah, there are definitely better things his time could be spent on I think, especially since there are workarounds for this issue. I believe there are even other libraries for different types of databases that wouldn't require an entire thread to themselves for queries, but that's just from memory so I could be wrong.