ID:2256247

I'm trying to figure out how I want the control scheme for my new game to work, and I'm a little torn on what buttons to use, since WASD/Space is for movement. So my question, does anyone own a mouse that doesn't have a middle button? I honestly can't even remember the last time I saw one WITHOUT a wheel. Because as of right now, left/middle/right click are the 3 abilities for the player
I don't like aiming with a mouse if I don't have to, but I mean... yeah, I don't think there are many people still using track balls or anything. :p
Player-customizable-keys, just sayin'.

Unless people are stuck in the WinXP days, every mouse on the market--even cheapo mice off Amazon for $5 USD--has a middle mouse button and some sort of optical/laser tracking.

Honestly though, give your game more options. People love options. You could go with the "Choose your control scheme" approach like: 3 Mouse Buttons, Change Ability by holding Shift/Control/Alt and Click to Use, Aim With Mouse and Press 1, 2, or 3 for Use, etc.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
I don't even care whether I can customize my controls or not as long as I can use a controller. lol
Oh I will for sure let people remap keys eventually, but I was just trying to make the initial play convenient for as many people as possible
In response to Gunbuddy13
Gunbuddy13 wrote:
Oh I will for sure let people remap keys eventually, but I was just trying to make the initial play convenient for as many people as possible

Statistics show people only care about auto-aiming and auto-functions. They don't want to manually do labor to play a game. So, start from there I guess.
Psh, the only ones that get to auto-aim are the defense turrets.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
I'd like to see those statistics, honestly. If you're talking about gaming as a whole I'd have to disagree. FPS is an absolutely massive market, and generally only have aim-assist on consoles, which, even then, is pretty minimal in most cases and is often only provided due to analog sticks being hard to control with pin point accuracy. Platformers are another massive genre that tend not to have the need for any auto functionality. I'd even reckon to say that any game that people favor heavy use of auto functions (aside from games where speed hotkeys are necessary to be competitive - i.e. Starcraft and the like) are meant for a more casual audience (more modernly the app market). If that is the demographic Gunbuddy is aiming for then he should design everything in a more hand-holdy way; otherwise, as long as the controls and mechanics feel comfortable for general use, and the vision that Gunbuddy has of his project, whatever he comes up with should be fine.