Fallen Legends

by Mecha Destroyer JD
Fallen Legends
A single player RPG inspired by JRPGs
ID:2262152

In this particular post I'll talk about the characters a bit and the philosophy behind them.

The main character Eoin charges himself with the task of redeeming his family name by answering a bounty placed on the leader of a mysterious criminal organization .

Following the jrpg route, I struggled a bit in determining who the enemy is. In typical jrpg fashion, the enemies are monsters if not humans that were transformed into something less human. Story wise, this does not really fit the narrative I want to provide. Using monsters, I have to explain both their intelligence or lack thereof which I believe is somewhat of a cop out in the grand scheme of things. At the same time, killing "monsters" seems to be awfully more ethically acceptable for most audiences due to the "otherness" concept.

Although the game potentially faces more backlash/acceptance utilizing humans as antagonists, I think that doing so opens up way more opportunities in story telling as well as attempting to make a more coherent story over all.  Namely, utilizing humans and the violence between them bumps up the potential age rating once distribution becomes important (ie age ratings). At the same time however, creative freedom is a bit more important in the grand scheme of things so I would consider a potentially higher age rating a worthy tradeoff for being able to tell the story that I want to tell.

As I mold the story a bit more, progress in the game is forthcoming. I've added another area and am currently working on a third town. I am also in the process of rewriting npc dialog and adding more dialogue to both try and eek out the story as well as setup the atmosphere of the game.

I'm also trying to get this social media cross posting thing down pact so I'll probably begin to plug all of the necessary links for the game in every post going forward. See below:

Facebook

Twitter

Byond

Itch.io