ID:2262479

Everyone knows BYOND isn't a shiny tool of development but a backyard plaything.

I'd like to propose a discussion of the reasons why and the steps that could change this to the right direction.

BYOND is an easy to learn engine but it isn't user friendly:

When creating a project, the user is left with a few lines of code that do next to nothing to try to help handling it.

There should be some optional preset enviroments for the new user to learn from, or even some pre-included libs (e.g Kidpaddle45's Mouse Wheel Zoom).

Having a Map Editor overhaul (http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2241374)

Having a more direct and transparent feedback system, telling us what is in progress, planed, etc. Take a look at Discord's https://feedback.discordapp.com/forums/ 326712-discord-dream-land

Give the community power to decide things and the priority on the development of things.

Going into the mobile business... I know the webclient is the project BYOND is currently focused on but having games being able to be distributed to Android and iOS would be a game changer. Maybe hiring another person to work on byond would help.

Distributing games:

Byond doesn't allow you to distribute your own game outside of it. Or at least it doesn't make it easy. It has a separate software called 'BYONDexe' that does that but it isn't at hand for everyone.

Why tho?

I don't know any engine that doesn't allow it somehow, like a 'Compile to Exe' feature.

I know byond doesn't have a nice history with fangames and that's probably the reason why but they already don't allow fangames to be published on the site. It would be the game owner's responsability on what he does with the exe and so on, not having the company name associated with it.
Hell, you could make a TOS just for that.

Being able to distribute your exe at any time you want would give game devs the freedom they always wanted and the best part is that the game would reach broader audiences, bringing more people to discover BYOND.

Make it a BYOND Member only feature, 1 hub per account, etc. Just make it avaiable.

--

That's my take on it. What are yours?
I might not be correct on what I said but I think that if nothing is changed, BYOND will die.
Just take a look at the Donation metter, it used to be full at the end of the month, now it won't reach 1/3 of it.
+1
Just a skim over but I'll address a couple of things.

1) BYOND couldn't "hire" anyone else, it doesn't have the resources for that.

2) BYONDexe is locked the way it is because it directly takes away from revenue generated by ads. There's been discussion of a standalone system that retains the ads, but it's far from a priority thing.

3) We gave the community the power to determine priority once, it was a complete wreck and waste of time.

4) The donation bar as been filled maybe three times in the years since it's been added, 1/3 to 1/2 is the normal average.
BYOND definitely needs a new map editor. I feel this is something that needs to be a priority because it's vital to many games but using it is a downright horrible experience.

I also would not be against having the option to simply pay for something like the BYONDexe features for a project.
I understand the ads are needed and generate money, but if someone is serious enough about their project to spend money on it, why would you deny them this opportunity? Most competing software usually has a free version that has restrictions on it's use and/or ads, and then a paid for version that removes these restrictions.
I'd be all for some sort of BYONDfree and BYONDpaid versions of BYOND.