ID:2263163
 
Did a binge watch of some Godzilla films and was curious if the engine could support something with a giant monster (one player) of some sorts destroying a city while a handful of survivors (players) attempt to combat it/survive/complete some objectives.

I'm just curious why that hasn't been made yet. I assume too much for the engine to handle?
Hasn't been done but it's totally in the realm of possibility with BYOND. It'd just take a bunch of clever icon-foo and some fancy pixel art.

It's just one of those "outside the box" ideas that 90% of BYONDevs are incapable of forming, much less pulling off.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
Hasn't been done but it's totally in the realm of possibility with BYOND. It'd just take a bunch of clever icon-foo and some fancy pixel art.

It's just one of those "outside the box" ideas that 90% of BYONDevs are incapable of forming, much less pulling off.

I guess I'll try tackling it for fun someday.
Wouldn't really need to do some clever icon-foo and fancy pixel art. You can easily just make regular sized sprites for the monsters and have the players smaller. Ex; 64x64 for monster, 16x16 for player. And then matrix Scale() everything to appear bigger, or even just zoom-in closer.

Would be interesting to see a like 16-bit version of that.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:
Wouldn't really need to do some clever icon-foo and fancy pixel art. You can easily just make regular sized sprites for the monsters and have the players smaller. Ex; 64x64 for monster, 16x16 for player. And then matrix Scale() everything to appear bigger, or even just zoom-in closer.

Would be interesting to see a like 16-bit version of that.

I think it would be an interesting concept to try and tackle sometime. Only include one kaiju inspired off the obvious Godzilla or go for a whole handful to choose from?

Who knows.

just have 2 players be kaijus whos goal is to beat the other one, while the other group of players goal is to survive and take down both of them
Do you have any mechanics or effects in mind that might be "too much for the engine to handle"? I wouldn't just assume BYOND couldn't handle it. It's pretty capable when you optimize enough or... manage your expectations.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
Do you have any mechanics or effects in mind that might be "too much for the engine to handle"? I wouldn't just assume BYOND couldn't handle it. It's pretty capable when you optimize enough or... manage your expectations.

Well, I just sort of pictured a player-controlled kaiju completely destroying a map. Full buildings being destroyed by its walking, etc.

Thinking back, it doesn't seem too out there for the engine. I feel silly.

from a minimalist perspective my game goblin bootcamp has the same mechanics that you're describing, minus the large scale destruction. a bunch of underpowered tiny players versus one big boss monster with the odds stacked heavily against them
In response to GameMind
Good times.
So, I'm going ahead with this concept. Thanks for all the input guys!

Login to reply.