ID:2264011

Problem description:
Long story short, I have an HTML5 video that's supposed to play in a DMF output window. However, the video doesn't seem to play at all.

I duplicated the HTML file and changed it to replace the video code with "TESTSTUFF", and it shows the text just fine in the right position.

Is it possible that there are issues with HTML5 in Dream Seeker browsers? I heard that Dream Seeker uses whichever browser is default on the client computer.

I noticed that the video actually plays when I run the HTML file through Chrome, my default browser, but it still doesn't play the video in Dream Seeker.

Here's the HTML5 Code. Any help is appreciated!
<!DOCTYPE html>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">
<style>
video {
<!-- position: fixed; -->
right: 0;
bottom: 0;
min-width: 50%;
min-height: 50%;
max-width: 90%;
max-height:90%;
width: auto;
height: auto;
</style>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgcolor=black>
<center><video width="853" height="480" autoplay="autoplay" id = "intro">
<source src="file:///C:/Program Files/NARUTO SHIPPUDEN Ultimate Ninja STORM 2/IntroMovie.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
</video></center>
</BODY>
<script type="text/javascript">
window.onload = function() {
window.addEventListener("click", function(){
var video = document.getElementById("intro");
video.pause();
window.location = "byond://winset?command=skipIntro";
});
window.addEventListener("contextmenu", function(){
video.pause();
});
window.addEventListener("keydown", function(){
video.pause();
});
}
</script>
</HTML>
Dream Seeker's browser runs Internet Explorer 7 in compatibility mode, which doesn't have much in the way of HTML5 support.

You can force it into "Edge" mode, which will utilize whichever version of IE the client has installed. Keep in mind though that this will create inconsistencies between what your players see since IE tends to vary their standard usage wildly between versions.

Another thing is that you'll probably want to use browse_rsc on your video's file, otherwise it's going to try to load it from a local copy, which your players probably won't have.
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">

Adding that to your <head> tag will force the browser into Edge mode. Another thing to keep in mind is that IE's HTML5 support is still pretty spotty even in modern versions so
The HTML-style comment <!-- ... --> could be breaking your CSS, since CSS uses /* ... */ for its comments. This shouldn't be preventing the video from playing, though.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Dream Seeker's browser runs Internet Explorer 7 in compatibility mode, which doesn't have much in the way of HTML5 support.

You can force it into "Edge" mode, which will utilize whichever version of IE the client has installed. Keep in mind though that this will create inconsistencies between what your players see since IE tends to vary their standard usage wildly between versions.

Another thing is that you'll probably want to use browse_rsc on your video's file, otherwise it's going to try to load it from a local copy, which your players probably won't have.
> <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">
>

Adding that to your <head> tag will force the browser into Edge mode. Another thing to keep in mind is that IE's HTML5 support is still pretty spotty even in modern versions so

I already have that line of code in my browser, it's forcing Edge already. I have a separate portion of my code that detects the user's browser and checks if it will be able to play the video.

Though browse_rsc can be useful for not running local copies, I'd like to point out that I do have the local copy on my computer in the specified directory. I am doing this for pure testing/simplicity purposes for the time being. If I can't get the video code running at all, no point in investing time to building other code revolving around it.

Kaiochao wrote:
The HTML-style comment <!-- ... --> could be breaking your CSS, since CSS uses /* ... */ for its comments. This shouldn't be preventing the video from playing, though.

Yeah, it isn't what's preventing the video from running. I tried removing the line altogether and got the same results.

As I've said, it works perfectly fine in other browsers. Just not in Dream Seeker for whatever reason.

EDIT: Just to double-check, I tested it in Microsoft Edge alone. The video played without any problems.

I can't imagine it being my DMF or code since running the html file minus the video worked fine. It's only when I add the video that it stops working.
Nevermind, I've played around with the project a whole bunch and can tell that the code I made for its gameplay mechanics are absolutely horrendous to work with.

It's probably best to just scrap the game and work on a different project.