ID:2266747

Not a bug
BYOND Version:511
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 59.0.3071.115
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I have an effect in my game that creates a pillar, does a few animates() to make it grow and fade away, and then removes it. But I have no code that modifies the icons appearance. It should just be setting the same one icon (only has a single icon_state) and looking the same every time.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Can't consistently cause or prevent this, appears to be random.
Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
    proc/Trigger()
//world<<"boom"
layer=EFFECTS_LAYER
step_x-=Pillar_Width/2-4
pixel_x+=(Pillar_Width-16)/2
bound_height=61
pixel_y-=bound_height
bound_width=Pillar_Width
icon='HealerPillar.dmi'
animate(src,alpha=255,time=0)
animate(transform=matrix(1.5,2,MATRIX_SCALE),time=1)
animate(transform=matrix((bound_width/16),2,MATRIX_SCALE),time=1)
animate(time=1)
animate(alpha=0,time=1)

Expected Results:
All the effects look the same
Actual Results:
Color will randomly be different (it will randomly be grey, should be yellow every time)

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?Randomly
In other games? Never seen it before
In other user accounts? Yes (other players in a live game have seen it)
On other computers? Yes (other players in a live game have seen it)

When does the problem NOT occur? Haven't been able to consistently make it NOT happen yet.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:
None yet. I tried doing some MapColors() stuff on the icon, but all it did was cause the same effect with a different pair of colors, with Blue most of the time and then randomly Green.

Do you have anything that's using a color matrix that might create that gray effect? Basically I'm wondering if there's something wrong in the drawing code that might be carrying over a previous matrix or color when it shouldn't.

Also are these icons yellow initially, or did you do icon manipulation or apply atom.color to give them that color?
I realized my mistake was a capitalization error in the code that makes the sparkle effect. So this wasn't a bug after all.
    proc/Activate(var/Pillar_Delay=15)
var/X=world.time+Pillar_Delay
while(src&&world.time<X)
var/Color=pick("#ffffff","#eeee77","#dddd00")
SpawnFire(src,Color)
color=pick("#ffffff","#eeee77","#dddd00") //Didn't capitalize "color" here
SpawnFire(src,Color)
sleep(world.tick_lag)
Trigger()

In hindsight, the first two colors in the pick() were just too close for me to notice that the pillars were actually spawning in three different colors. Had I noticed that initially I would have found this much sooner.
So it was spawning the pillar with a different src.color to start with before it even applied the icon to it
Ah. Thanks for letting me know.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)