ID:2273258

Code:

I want to try making a rp game similar to the ones they have on byond on a different platform. The games where the interface doesnt really do anything but act as like visual stimuli and make movement and everything like that more clear. Everything else is really text based (usually html on this)

What program would be best to replicate that? And how would you recommend I do it? I'm pretty new so tutorials would help but what would i search up?

It sounds like what you want to do is develop a game on the HTML5 platform (browsers with Javascript).

This consists of a blend between HTML5 canvas drawing and HTML-based elements, CSS styling, and Javascript programming. The very basics of these can be found here.

The market for web-based games using HTML5 is already in full bloom. There are tons of frameworks and libraries for game development in HTML5 as well, with one of the more popular ones being Phaser.
Thanks for the quick reply!

I've been trying to figure out how to do this on Unity for the past day, but html5 seems like it could make a lot more sense.

Before I start though, would html5 supports a 2d mmorpg (not exactly 'massive' like 100 people tops) because Ive realized that essentially fits the game I'm trying to go for. The only difference however, is Ill be able to save some time by not coding in mobs, stats, etc. as all those things would be text based.

(A perfect example of the type of game id be going for is era of the shinobi, which should be launching back out today incase my descriptions are really unclear.)
Also I'm guessing a browser based game would make sense if I'm not mistaken?

I just randomly searched up html5 mmorpg and these came up, but they seems like something along the lines of what I'd be trying to go for appearance wise.

http://browserquest.mozilla.org/
https://rainingchain.com/

but again, those are more like traditional rpgs with health bars and all that instead of text based
In short, yes. The HTML5 platform is capable of creating games where you can have as many players as you'd like. You'll need some experience with networking, but some engines have eased the hardship for you. BYOND handles this entirely for you, which can actually be a caveat in some scenarios.
aight thanks...ill try html5 and some type of networking..

ill probably fail but wish me luck!