ID:2274741

You are aware that it does not work but for some reason say it's pointless to fix.

But how are we supposed to save player preferences? Most games have settings that the player can tweak, but if I can't save the player's settings clientside it's a bit of an issue Thanks.
It's working (mostly) fine for me. An issue I ran into is Export() fails if called in client/Del() and by extension, mob/Logout().

Try saving the settings somewhere else, or whenever a setting is modified and see if you can get it working then.

EDIT:
// This is what I used to test client.Export() and client.Import()
/world
hub = "dayoak.testing"
New()
var/savefile/f = new("fix_output_bug.sav") // I was getting stupid output errors for no reason
f["1"] << "2"
fdel("fix_output_bug.sav")
..()

/mob
var/list/settings = list("thing"="one", "something"="dos")

verb/save_settings()
var/savefile/s = new()
s["settings"] << settings
client.Export(s)
// I also tried exporting a .txt by client.Export(text2file(list2params(settings), "settings.txt") directly but it didn't work, dunno if that's a separate bug or if I'm just retarded and misunderstood how it's suppose to function...

verb/clear_settings()
client.Export()
settings = list("thing"="one", "something"="dos")

verb/reset_settings()
settings = list("thing"="one", "something"="dos")

verb/modify_settings()
settings["thing"] = "uno"
settings["something"] = "two"

verb/read_settings()
for(var/x in settings)
src << "[x] = [settings[x]]"

/client
New()
. = ..()
if(!.) return
var/settings = Import()
if(settings)
var/savefile/s = new(settings)
mob.settings = s["settings"]
Currently the main issue with client-side saving, is that it only allows a single savefile to be stored per hub. This can cause some pretty major headaches if you have a failed save, since there's no way to perform a temporary backup file like you can saving to the server's hard drive.

Otherwise, I've gotten it to work pretty well for the most part.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Currently the main issue with client-side saving, is that it only allows a single savefile to be stored per hub.

That's one thing I'm curious about. Would that be some arbitrary limitation because they never thought you'd want/need to keep more than one file, or an issue with how it handles client-side savefiles?

Either way, it seems it should probably be addressed eventually.