ID:2275660

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
Beginning with character setup, ending with consoles and vending machines. Everything that happens in a new window is just empty.

Sometimes window text will render properly (but not update when interacted with), but upon closing the window and opening again it will be all empty until client restart.

tgstation has option to "fix chat", which reloads chatoutput. This fixes the windows for undetermined amount of time though window content continues to not update. It eventually all becomes white again.

I have this problems on all ss13 servers I frequent (tg, cm, vg).

I do not recall installing anything, or making changes to system settings, or anything that could potentially trigger this issue. It seemingly appeared out of the blue.

I'm running Windows 10, so I'm unable to manually update Edge, and Edge doesn't appear to have option to "reset settings", like some fixes to similar issues suggest.

I've reinstalled byond, cleared cache, to no avail.
are your graphics drivers up-to-date? what version of BYOND?
Yes. 511.1385.
I have this same problem. I thought it was just something on my end. Huh.
There are two likely explanations.

The first is that your Windows firewall is not configured correctly. You may have exceptions for the BYOND programs to use the public network, but they also need to be able to use the private network. If you add exception rules for the BYOND programs--Dream Seeker especially--this will likely go away.

Another possibility is security software running amuck and interfering with normal operations.
I've never encountered this problem before the latest version of BYOND. My firewall is configured correctly for BYOND, I did that years ago and I haven't changed it since. I only started encountering this problem after updating to the latest version of BYOND. So I definitely don't think it's my firewall.

Not gonna rule out the other possibility, though it seems strange that it would suddenly start happening.

For the record I'm running Windows 7.
In response to Mattroks101
Best response
Mattroks101 wrote:
I've never encountered this problem before the latest version of BYOND. My firewall is configured correctly for BYOND, I did that years ago and I haven't changed it since. I only started encountering this problem after updating to the latest version of BYOND. So I definitely don't think it's my firewall.

On the contrary, that's exactly what I would expect, especially if you were previously using a much older 511, or even 510. If your firewall only allows BYOND programs to use the public network, that's where it's gone wrong. byond.exe, dreamseeker.exe, and dreamdaemon.exe all need to be able to access public and private networks both, and to open ports for incoming traffic. (TCP is all that matters; UDP is irrelevant.)
No, I redded all the exes in firewall and set exclusions in av. It didn't work.
Can you show me your firewall rules for the programs?
I found a ghetto fix for this accidentally.

When you load up a game, pick up a piece of paper and pen. Use the pen on the paper so you can write, then put them back, and minimize the window.

Now every time your windows get white, get the paper and type stuff in separate lines. The text will not appear at first, but it will do, and when it does your windows will be working again.

You can just keep this paper window minimized, and repeat if you needed.

Thus It probably ain't a firewall issue. It's a cache issue.
I really don't see how this could be a cache issue. It sounds like the interaction you're doing is convincing something on your system, rogue antivirus maybe, that everything is all right and it should release whatever lockouts it has.
But disabling av and firewall doesn't help.
You're operating on the assumption that the firewall and antivirus you've checked are the only ones you're using. What are you using for those?
I am having the same problem, double checked firewall and anti-virus, re-installed byond, cleared cache and nothing.

After joining a SS13 server, on the "text" window there`s a message "Now redirecting you, click here if you are not taken to a game server automatically.", needless to say clicking on it does nothing.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
You're operating on the assumption that the firewall and antivirus you've checked are the only ones you're using. What are you using for those?

I think it is a valid assumption to make, I'm aware of what I install on my system.

And it's stock Windows 10 firewall and Avira.

Realhumanbein wrote:
I am having the same problem, double checked firewall and anti-virus, re-installed byond, cleared cache and nothing.

After joining a SS13 server, on the "text" window there`s a message "Now redirecting you, click here if you are not taken to a game server automatically.", needless to say clicking on it does nothing.

That's not quite the problem I'm having.
In response to Realhumanbein
Realhumanbein wrote:

That sounds /tg/station's CDN. (Hippie also uses it)

Did the options and messages window pop up? Did it say anything about why you didn't get connected?

In response to Lumbermancer
Have you also checked Windows Defender to see if it's doing anything with BYOND? It shouldn't, but you never know.

Another important question is: Does this happen only on a certain server? If you try other servers, does the same issue occur?
Windows Defender is turned off when you have other AV installed.

Yes as I said it happens on all the servers. Not in the same capacity though. On some servers windows will update, on some not, but ultimately they all turn white.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I really don't see how this could be a cache issue.

Sorry I missed this part of your comment.

It could be a cache issue because those files, the windows, are cached in cache folder as htmls. I can open them just fine.

So if they got cached on my disk, surely firewall/av whatever can't be a problem here.
In response to Lumbermancer
Lumbermancer wrote:
It could be a cache issue because those files, the windows, are cached in cache folder as htmls. I can open them just fine.

So if they got cached on my disk, surely firewall/av whatever can't be a problem here.

A firewall could very definitely interfere with it, because those files are not being opened directly.
Page: 1 2