ID:2279256

Applies to:

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Currently, when you use the constants NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, WEST, NORTHEAST, SOUTHEAST, NORTHWEST, or SOUTHWEST in the map editor in the 'dir' field, the engine basically says 'NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT' (variable dir: must be integer betweem 0 and 10). Why is this? Is it possible for it to be changed so we can use a constant instead of the numbers themselves?
Why is it such a big deal to just use the bit instead? o.O
In response to Unwanted4Murder
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
Why is it such a big deal to just use the bit instead? o.O

It isn't really that big a deal, I just have a shitty memory for which ones are which, which only seems to be something I need to do when I'm trying to get something to face a certain way in the map editor. Overall it's not the most needed thing in the world, but it would help.
In response to Pokemonred200
?
When in doubt: BYOND's directions are in the order NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, WEST, UP, DOWN, and the bitflags increase in that order. So NORTH=1, SOUTH=2, EAST=4, WEST=8.

It's generally pretty easy to remember that NORTH and SOUTH come before EAST and WEST, but if you ever have trouble remembering which order one of those pairs is in (e.g., if NORTH comes before SOUTH), you can go by this pattern:

y + 1
y - 1
x + 1
x - 1
z + 1
z - 1

So in yxz order, first you have the direction that increases it, then you have the direction that decreases it.
Honestly, the ability to have defines load before maps and be usable would be super helpful. This includes coder defines.

In response to Unwanted4Murder
That's still terrible QoL and not a solution. Yes reading the bits isn't difficult but it's more trouble than it should be.