ID:2281640

Applies to:

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
The Steam support for BYOND currently doesn't include DLCs, such as: http://puu.sh/x6HTQ/4f8e792619.png

This is an important feature for games that want to release on Steam as F2P so it'd be nice to have, because the more sales your game makes on Steam, the more traffic they give you. I'm hoping this is easy to chuck in...
Bump. +
Is this doable? I have a game that I'd like to release on Steam soon, but I cannot unless this feature is added
Least make is supportive when someone buys the DLC it activates and adds them to byonds sub system. Please lummox this is a must for Free to Play games.
Well, for this I think it'd need to be the same as the current Steam support that direct game purchases have.
In response to Darker Emerald
Darker Emerald wrote:

Oh neat, just saw that TLC is on Steam. I'm assuming that the issues you encountered were due to the current sub system being against Steam's ToS to use?

I'm pretty sure this'd also have to only use their API, similar to how direct purchases work.
Yes that is correct, unfortunately there is no other way to make money on steam ATM if you are trying to go for the F2P approach. It hasn't exactly been working out due to the problem I'm facing. However lummox latest post talked about laying out some ground work for DLC that I'm hoping will be out asap. Otherwise your better off going for the P2P cause it is unfortunately the only way you can sell your game on steam.

As an alternate you can however release a game as p2p and release a separate version as a playable demo that acts as a free to play version but that demo button is so small it's easy to miss for anyone.
Bump- The Last Conflict has not made any money during its month on Steam due to the lack DLC support.
In response to Pixel Realms
Not to be rude, but maybe Darker Emerald shouldn't have released the game with a monetization model that depends on a feature set that hasn't even been started yet...
I think the point is that this is a high priority 'want'. Get on it.
In response to Unwanted4Murder
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
Not to be rude, but maybe Darker Emerald shouldn't have released the game with a monetization model that depends on a feature set that hasn't even been started yet...

What you're more or less saying is "maybe one of the few developers marketing their game off-site shouldn't have expected DLCs to be compatible with Steam API, despite that being the case in 99.99% of other engines". It's not unreasonable for him to assume this stuff. He was expecting to be able to make money from his game but discovered otherwise post-release.

I'm bumping the thread because the guy released a game that he (and by extension BYOND) are making no money from. It's something that should have been at the top of the list a while back IMO.
What you're more or less saying is "maybe one of the few developers marketing their game off-site shouldn't have expected DLCs to be compatible with Steam API, despite that being the case in 99.99% of other engines". It's not unreasonable for him to assume this stuff.

I think that's an unfair representation of what was said. I think he was actually saying that the game shouldn't have monetized using a model that wasn't supported yet. Pushing ahead is basically building a house on sand at that point. You don't know that it's gonna work, and if you are hedging your bets on something that is explicitly not supported, you really ought to expect exactly the outcome you described: Not good.

It's not unreasonable to expect it to be added. But it is unreasonable to push on a financial model that doesn't work in your ecosystem.

But I agree, this is a thing that needs to happen, and a better overall integration of the SteamAPI for achievements, trading cards, and using the steam API to join friends' games directly, etc. is... Well, frankly something that's been a big question mark.

We have the whole steamapi dll included with BYOND. It just seems like only one or two methods have even been tied in and that's just really not adequate for today's steam indie ecosystem.
Knowing that byond did not support DLC, I was actually going to use the byond subscription system as a means of payment. You see the one thing that I overlooked was you are not aloud to link people to payment systems outside of steam to which became an issue on my end.

So at the time of release I kinda screwed myself over and had two options. Release the game as a F2P like I've been saying I would or release as a P2P. Although it was a tough decision I decided to stay with the F2P and stand by my words in hope one day the DLC feature will be supported. Although it is F2P I've made some profit with byonds subscription system by letting anyone who wants to sub know you can do it at our website even though it's tedious task.

Looking forward to what lummox posted about laying out some groundwork because a feature like this would be great news for developers who want to market F2P games made with byond to steam.
Knowing that byond did not support DLC, I was actually going to use the byond subscription system as a means of payment. You see the one thing that I overlooked was you are not aloud to link people to payment systems outside of steam to which became an issue on my end.

So at the time of release I kinda screwed myself over and had two options. Release the game as a F2P like I've been saying I would or release as a P2P. Although it was a tough decision I decided to stay with the F2P and stand by my words in hope one day the DLC feature will be supported. Although it is F2P I've made some profit with byonds subscription system by letting anyone who wants to sub know you can do it at our website even though it's tedious task.

Yeah, that's definitely something that you should have been aware of going in. Steam takes a cut of all content sold through their store. That includes links to out-of-network real-money transactions.

"Nobody reads the TOS" super double dog doesn't apply to formalizing an agreement with a publisher. Sorry that happened to you, bro. Really sucks, and yeah, overall better integration with Steam in general, and not just as an abstract one-size fits all, but rather direct DM, developer-facing module integration in the language would be a pretty brotastic thing.
Yeah haha, was totally my fault though. My life was going into a bunch of directions at the time like graduating, moving to a new place and my relationship. When it came time to do the steamworks digital paperwork I ended up rushing through the majority of that.

I still have hopes for byond dlc intergration and hope it becomes a thing soon or someday.
In response to Pixel Realms
Yeah, I definitely wasn't trying to rustle any feathers. I have plenty of respect for all the other devs out there doing their thing and I've been plenty vocal on the Discord in the past that I think further integration with the Steam API should be one of Lummox's top priorities. Just because something should be done doesn't mean it is done though. It sucks especially hard that Dark got screwed trying to streamline the rev share between himself and Lummox, but mistakes happen. Hopefully Lummox can find time to poke into it soon.

p.s. REO2 was one of my favorite games when I first joined BYOND. :)
Bump
Bumper
Bump
Bump
Page: 1 2