ID:2283441

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
My game Naruto Supreme Chaos randomly crashes, I can't figure out why because I'm not sure when it started. I changed a few things (very minor, like bug fixes etc). I haven't been on BYOND in a while and started adding stuff to the game again recently. So I'm not sure if it the crashes are recent or not but the game for sure has some type of problem. Is there any way for me to figure out how to fix it?

Crashes how? If Dream Daemon is crashing, you should have data in the Windows event viewer.
It can be a myriad of problems, my server was super stable, I was looking for problems, in the end was the dedicated and looks that the physical resources never batiarm nor 50%

I changed company, even Operating System and never more problem

It can be a loop triggering several other loops, activates the world.loops_checks = 1
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Crashes how? If Dream Daemon is crashing, you should have data in the Windows event viewer.

Like the players are playing, and then the game just crashes, I've tried two diff host, one was more frequent than the other but I'm not sure if its dream daemon or the game, but I'm leaning more towards the game because I tried more than one host... Is there a way to check if dream daemon is crashing? or if the game crashing?
In response to Klogaum
Klogaum wrote:
It can be a myriad of problems, my server was super stable, I was looking for problems, in the end was the dedicated and looks that the physical resources never batiarm nor 50%

I changed company, even Operating System and never more problem

It can be a loop triggering several other loops, activates the world.loops_checks = 1

So what should I try doing? I think I already have world loop check set to one. I have a code that checks for inactive NPC each time the player moves, do you think it could be that?? I'm not too sure my self.
In response to Naruto 5292
Best response
Naruto 5292 wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:

Like the players are playing, and then the game just crashes,

I repeat: Crashes how? Describe what's happening, in detail. From what you're saying, it doesn't sound like an actual crash at all. So since it's very likely this is not a crash, I need to know what you mean when you use the word.

For clarity's sake, a crash means the actual program ran into a problem that threw an error in Windows (or in Linux, if it's the server) that ended it unexpectedly.

I've tried two diff host, one was more frequent than the other but I'm not sure if its dream daemon or the game, but I'm leaning more towards the game because I tried more than one host... Is there a way to check if dream daemon is crashing? or if the game crashing?

We're not on the same page.

When you said the game crashed, I took that to mean a true crash in which case you were most likely hosting the game in Dream Daemon. Now it sounds like you're playing the game in Dream Seeker, and someone else is doing the hosting. If the server crashed, and you're not the one hosting it, your only indication would be that it disconnected you. You'd have a message about that in Dream Seeker, so since you didn't mention that I'm assuming you haven't been disconnected.
Switch
While ... goto ...
for loops > proc call proc

https://drive.google.com/ open?id=0B-BrVd3CZvcqQU83UGRnMElWWDA
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

So I talked to the host and he said that yes dream daemon becomes unresponsive whenever the game "crashes"
So I talked to the host and he said that yes dream daemon becomes unresponsive whenever the game "crashes"

If it's freezing, it's not crashing.

Odds are you have an infinite loop somewhere in your code.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

If it's freezing, it's not crashing.

Odds are you have an infinite loop somewhere in your code.

So I should look for things like while and for loops? or is there any specific way to check what is causing it? The game it self doesn't freeze, the server goes down, I think dream daemon is prolly what is freezing
In response to Ter13
I have the log file from the host, but it just seems like "random" errors nothing that is a loop
Did you turn off loop_checks? If you did, you need to turn them back on.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Did you turn off loop_checks? If you did, you need to turn them back on.

Yes, looking at the code I see that loop_checks is set to zero, if I set it back on what will it help me do?
Yes, looking at the code I see that loop_checks is set to zero, if I set it back on what will it help me do?

Your runtime error log will contain more information now
In response to Klogaum
Klogaum wrote:

Your runtime error log will contain more information now

Oh ok that's great, it'll be more helpful when trying to fix the issue.
You should never turn off loop_checks except on a temporary basis. Without it, a proc can loop indefinitely and nothing will stop it.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
You should never turn off loop_checks except on a temporary basis. Without it, a proc can loop indefinitely and nothing will stop it.

Ok so any advice on what to do now? Just wait for a crash and check the log...?
You can always host a test server and allow a limited amount of people to help you test, and just keep testing stuff until game eventually crashes and figure it out that way then look at the code for w.e caused the crash.

Or.. just check the profiler while your running the game through Dream Maker @ Running it, and check for an abnormal amount of calls.

There might be a place in your code where it's doing something too fast for example something like while(blah) sleep(0.1) --> Super fast and prone to causing a game to freeze/crash.
In response to Yusuke11
Yusuke11 wrote:
You can always host a test server and allow a limited amount of people to help you test, and just keep testing stuff until game eventually crashes and figure it out that way then look at the code for w.e caused the crash.

Or.. just check the profiler while your running the game through Dream Maker @ Running it, and check for an abnormal amount of calls.

Yusuke, u already know I've tried all of this already lool.

Testing each and everything takes forever and most of the time its just wasted time, not finding anything. Profiler, ya I try to look at it but sometimes I'm not even online when the game crashes.

Naruto 5292 wrote:
Profiler, ya I try to look at it but sometimes I'm not even online when the game crashes.

Freezes. It is not crashing; it is freezing.
Page: 1 2