ID:2287963

Lummox how do you feel about naming your price, say $100,000 for BYOND to go open source? You go to Kickstarter and say "Give me $100,000 and BYOND goes open source", we pay you off, and we get the open source BYOND we desire?

Name your price and we'll see what we can do, as long as you name a price you are happy with it will be win win for both sides.
1.) An "opensource BYOND" kickstarter is not going to reach $100k
2.) The income BYOND makes in the long-term is probably worth a lot more than $100k
3.) The only reason you're suggesting this is so you can advertise your illegal game, which would be rejected on Kongregate, Steam, etc, anyway. Make something original
4.) BYOND is a massive mess of code and it's unlikely open sourcing it would improve the development process
5.) The best thing about BYOND is likely the hub (free players!) and decentralizing it would do more harm than good I think, but I'm not entirely sure on this
Lolno.
Can you make a kickstarter for me too? I'll open source my project, "Sparrow's Odd Adventure". If possible maybe we can agree to add another 0 at the end of that as well, plzthx.
rofl, this was hilarious. Maybe you and your brother should go back to selling coke Tens, instead of snorting it yourselves. :D
Notice how Lummox isn't laughing with everyone?

He's rubbing his chin. Thinking.
In response to Oscuro Cosmo
Oscuro Cosmo wrote:
Notice how Lummox isn't laughing with everyone?

He's rubbing his chin. Thinking.

He's probably rolling his eyes at this thread whilst working on the new update, tbh.
You're hereby summoned to state your price, Lummox.
"$500,000 and twelve 6-count packs of shrimp flavored Ramen." -- Lummox JR, probably.
In response to Ginseng
Ginseng wrote:
He's probably rolling his eyes at this thread whilst working on the new update, tbh.

lol
Real talk tho, the implication of the thread is that you don't want Lummox at the helm, which is super insulting. Perhaps it would be better to frame your question as: "I'm willing to invest $100K into BYOND's future under the condition that the engine is open-sourced.".

You know, rather than opening with a public thread basically telling the guy he's incompetent and paying him to go away despite doing more for the state of the engine in a single year than prior administration managed in the last 5 years combined.

Better yet, why not make a private offer to license a copy of the source code? (But of course that would require you ponying up your own cash and have a reputation as a person that gives a shit about intellectual property.)
In response to Ter13
Just let users gain double XP when watching ads. BYOND will be making millions in no time.
In response to Popisfizzy
The source engine will have built in log training.
TBH, I would prefer developers having a partnership with Lummox over open-sourcing it. Something like:

Non-Disclosure Agreement, anything dealing with proprietary formats or protocols must be closed-source and distributed free-of-charge.

Then, he doesn't have to field github pull requests and issues all day long and maintains ownership and control of his own projects.
Lummox is doing amazing as is, long live Lummox.
Kozuma3 wrote:
Lummox is doing amazing as is, long live Lummox.

Long live more 120 years

No one is able to follow with DM as lummox, have everyone here ever felt pressured? Lummox is 100x more and the guy is lively and strong, not calling to management and publicity, this should be us and another team, lummox is a programmer.

It does what it knows, if it stops or slows down what it does to get good at advertising, we lose hours of lummox with updates byond version

If it is to sell the source, it sells more does not abandon the 'byond', Selling OP is not selling rights to follow in updates with something.

You have to have a team just for this (advertising and management)
Apparently marketing isn't an option. BYOND isn't complete enough. *obvious sarcasm*
For games 2d I think byond much superior to unity2d, being good does not guarantee anything my dear

It does not give you a job the height, it will not have players the height, they are millions of variants, in the team of the byond I only see lummox & have o.o ', each sector of the team should take care of so many variables

On any motor, there are no 2 O 'programmers. If the root developer of unity leaves at the same time the owner, quadruples the monthly amount of his salary, why to get another, until there are updates without bug my friend. It's five years
Nobody knows your language better than the owner(Founder, or the one who made the most of it
), this is for games too
Page: 1 2