ID:2293179

Just spent 36 hours with no electricity or water. Not nearly as bad as we were expecting, but still sucked. Hope everyone else in Florida/Georgia/etc is doing alright.
Mine just came back.
rip Florida users.
I know the life. I grew up until I was 23 in Florida.
Katrina left us without lights or water for nearly 3 weeks, so i know it sucks trust me..
FLA will be without electricity for about the same length of time.
Dammit, Flick! Stop getting involved with disasters. I'm still expecting news that you've been frogged by a wandering witch. =(

Red Cross Hurricane Relief
We had power for 23 hours, and then it went out again until a few minutes ago. Wasn't too bad the first time because we expected it and the nights were cool, but the last two nights sucked. It was hot and humid as hell. Slept part of the night outside in the yard until the house cooled off enough to go inside. Here's hoping it stays on this time.

We had plenty of food and water, some coolers, and a little propane camp stove, so mostly, it was just camping. Could have been way worse.
If I lived in the South I'd want to have a backup generator and make sure it's working at all times. Also I'd bomb a 50-mile radius with insect spray. Also I wouldn't live in the South.
Earthquakes and fires out west, tornados in the Midwest, blizzards up north, hurricanes down here. You get used to whatever after a while. Except the mosquitos... (And the southerners, I suppose.) Luckily they aren't that bad at the moment. (The mosquitos. The southerners are always bad.) Only a few last night and really none for the rest of the time.

We really do need to get a generator though. At least enough to run the well and a small fridge or A/C unit.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
If I lived in the South I'd want to have a backup generator and make sure it's working at all times. Also I'd bomb a 50-mile radius.

FTFY.
Most blizzards are nothing. Here we have lake effect--it's like mini blizzards that come through all winter long. Snow does not scare us.

Although I will admit, in December I went out Christmas shopping with my sister one afternoon and on our way from one mall to another we got caught in the worst blizzard conditions I've ever seen in my life. At times I literally couldn't see more than a few feet in front of my car, and I couldn't keep my windshield properly clear either. It took us about two hours minutes IIRC to travel just a few miles. Next time I'm checking the weather on my phone first.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
If I lived in the South I'd want to have a backup generator and make sure it's working at all times. Also I'd bomb a 50-mile radius.

FTFY.

Just give me a couple hour heads-up.