ID:2295505

This post might be a little helter-skelter. I'm writing it as a sort of thought that occured.

Most either gaming systems or gaming sites have a sort of flagship game or series which pushes their console or site along, it becomes what they're known for. For example, Nintendo has Mario or Pokemon, Xbox had halo and others, playstation has its own games. Even sites like new grounds have their own mainstays.

My question is, does BYOND have one of these? Would it be Eternia, Space station 13, maybe previously NEStalgia? Which games really push the product and show off what BYOND is really capable of? Are those games promoted by BYOND itself, like the aforementioned other companies push them?

(this part is more of throwing things at the wall see what sticks)
IF there is not a real powerhouse on BYOND would it be possible to make one? A game which truly shows BYOND capabilities, has really tight and enjoyable gameplay that has mass appeal? What would it take to create such a game? Have any of the really great developers on this site ever tried to get all together on one grand project, the likes of which BYOND has never seen?

I just love BYOND and I have since I was a kid really. I started out playing anime games, switched to playing others, tried my hand at development, and lately when I come its kind of sad to be honest. Seems like its losing steam. I could be wrong..I don't know I just wanted to get this thought down.

I was paid to say: Byond is just a engine and is bad administered
FEED
In response to Manio
Manio wrote:
FEED

In response to Unwanted4Murder
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
Manio wrote:
FEED

In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
Manio wrote:
FEED

In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
Manio wrote:
FEED

In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
Manio wrote:
FEED

In response to YURIRAMOS
YURIRAMOS wrote:
I was paid to say: Byond is just a engine and is bad administered

In response to Yukay Karyuu
Yukay Karyuu wrote:
Kumorii wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
Manio wrote:
FEED

Good discussion? Lmao okay
Superfetch wrote:
I just love BYOND and I have since I was a kid really. I started out playing anime games, switched to playing others, tried my hand at development, and lately when I come its kind of sad to be honest. Seems like its losing steam.

You're not alone man, the "loss of steam" is only temporary.
Byond always has its loss of steam seasons but have to admit this one has lasted for far too long. I recommended just going full fledge savage mode and to open back up the Guilds and Action/Anime/Puzzle/Arcade forums. It honestly kept communities more organized and kept people from all other categories from getting caught in cluster-fuck rants about what types of games belongs to be this and that..

But meh, I suppose eitherway we'll have to understand that we need to adapt to certain things in order to keep the steam rolling.
In response to Vegeta ssjj2
Vegeta ssjj2 wrote:
Yukay Karyuu wrote:
Kumorii wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
Manio wrote:
FEED

In response to Vegeta ssjj2
Mine is not, but I like it, much higher games have already passed here, the difficulty will not turn viral

A game never represents a programming language

A video game can lead people to come because the game is cool, not because it was difficult to develop

It's just an observation, I do not say you said it backwards

https://media.giphy.com/media/XA8uCF26oITjG/giphy.gif
I wouldn't say BYOND is "losing steam".

A lot of the anime community has been jumping ship ever since anime games got cracked down on and their leaving makes things seem a lot less busy than it is.

Over the last year BYOND has seen an influx of new developers who are interested in creating original, new games. We've got a whole rack of VERY interesting games under development, it's just most of the developers are fairly quiet about them(take Transcendence for example).

BYOND isn't dying, but it's turning a new leaf. a lot of the anime crowd might not like it, but BYOND is so much better than "that anime game engine" and should be recognized as such.

edit: It should also be mentioned that most of the major developers have created their own off-site communities for their games on Discord and the likes.