ID:2298179

Is it serious that byond is only for games? I see potential in it to recreate any store systems and still make them better, we have sql, java and other features. It's just that I've never seen anyone creating or showing programs on the show and tell
There are other languages and systems that are able to perform the things stores need in easier and more professional ways, plus DM has never been advertised as a language for store systems.

It's true that with MySQL you could create a healthy functioning store system, however today mongoDB is on the rise and also it'd require more effort than if you were to just use PHP, JS, or C-based languages.
Yeah BYOND is only for games. Especially for stores you're 100% best off using the web.

BYOND doesn't support any UI features that you need to make a UI anything better than a shitty Flash app.
In response to PJB3005
PJB3005 wrote:
BYOND doesn't support any UI features that you need to make a UI anything better than a shitty Flash app.

Uh... this just plain isn't true, especially considering that DM can use JS which is what most websites use anyway.
In response to Unwanted4Murder
Yes, with the web client. But when you're programming JS why not just use JS without BYOND?
PJB, don't say something can't do something just because there's better options.
In response to Kumorii
I think you replied to me in the wrong thread.

Anyways that... doesn't show me anything. You said SS13 was laggy, for all I know that game is just as laggy because with a video I can't see the input lag and other things.
In response to PJB3005
PJB3005 wrote:
I think you replied to me in the wrong thread.

Anyways that... doesn't show me anything. You said SS13 was laggy, for all I know that game is just as laggy because with a video I can't see the input lag and other things.

I've played it. The input lag is negligible over even a passable connection. Handles pretty well overall, TBH. It has a lot of advantages over SS13, as it's taking advantage of a lot more of the modern DM features that SS13 can't.

It's apples to oranges man, the size of you guys' codebase locks you guys into a lot of stuff that could have been better designed if only those features had happened along earlier.

SS13 is very much a 3.0 BYOND game that's been dragged forward through 4.0 and into 5.0. Feed is very much a 5.0 BYOND game from the outset. Very, very different.
If DMCGI wasn't deprecated .. it would have been ideal for this.

A few people used DMCGI including myself, it allowed authentication using BYOND keys.. It was great!

I believe Nadrew was probably the person who used DMCGI the most and I knew a few community forums integrated it for authentication.

Anyway that was in the browser, which is where BYOND is kind of going (Web client) in game wise I did make a small demo / library that has a store with PayPal integration, for that however you do need a webserver with MySQL (remote access enabled) and PHP.
Anyway I'm implementing paypal API

About ease of doing something, is not relevant

I believe that a language should prioritize writing speed, even if it does not make it easy to do it. It's easy now

Seek to be better, do not want ease, this will limit you in which you can go much further
BYOND the Bluebook is the 1337st mother of all languages because it captures the grace and elegance; the essence of core-gramming... 1337gramming which is
And can be tailor adapted to found any core concept or programme. It's easy-to-use and versatile.
#define is a great ally to us at speed

I just remembered that now.
In response to Klogaum
Klogaum wrote:

I believe that a language should prioritize writing speed, even if it does not make it easy to do it. It's easy now

Seek to be better, do not want ease, this will limit you in which you can go much further

There's caveats with my demo/library one being MySQL connections on BYOND are single threaded.

One way around this is to let the server handle all requests on an interval and assign the purchased items to the user when they're logged in.

Of course that can present it's own issue of tracking if they're offline and etc

If you have any recommendations or suggestions please submit a GitHub request and I can add them in, it'll be great to have some contributers.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Klogaum wrote:

There's caveats with my demo/library one being MySQL connections on BYOND are single threaded.

One way around this is to let the server handle all requests on an interval and assign the purchased items to the user when they're logged in.

Of course that can present it's own issue of tracking if they're offline and etc

If you have any recommendations or suggestions please submit a GitHub request and I can add them in, it'll be great to have some contributers.

If I'm not mistaken, SQLite is a lot less of a bottleneck in DM because of how the threading is handled. I have minimum experience with databases though, so feel free to correct me.
Er, do you actually seriously believe BYOND has any value here or are you just doing it as a fun esoteric side project?

In response to PJB3005
You're being a twat again.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
You're being a twat again.

I'm thinking to myself ... If the skills of the programmer goes up, keeping the speed of programming something or delivering something the same, the pursuit of that scale, if on one side the speed gains focus, and on the other the difficulty goes up, in the end it would compensate?

In the best situation, we will have the improvement in time, and reduction of difficulty, one without harming the other. Taking into account the level of difficulty and elevation of complexity to get the two together(I say about the language that Lummox works). If for too much complexity for too much convenience, a future version for a futile thing, it will take much longer to arrive and if it arrives

A.T.H.K genius ideas for improvement appears out of nowhere and soon falls into oblivion because not everyone registers it in the forum
Any idea made by developers even if superfluous, without a good basis, or notion that it is redundant or not additive, should be posted?

If so, should we spend time responding to whoever suggested it?

There we have time management, right?

Playing here ...

A new topic inside Feature Requests, in which the owner of the idea, he knows there will be no response, perhaps only in case of acceptance.

You understand? sometimes you do not want to elaborate, or write with beauty, just want to get there, make it clear however quickly

This new topic, would not be visualized by lummox, but by us not? in which we take and work on top of that and then we post where Lummox See

I may be talking bullshit or not!
For Lumox and A.T.H.K I only speak what they already know

It's redundant for you and annoying is not it? laughs

But the forum may be new
Page: 1 2