ID:2305446

(See the best response by Ter13.)
lets say I want to hire someone to make graphics for a character creator.

and I want the player to be able to change the hue of the graphics so it can be whatever color they want.

I'm about to hire someone to make a bunch of different fur designs, hamster eyes, etc. that I can layer on top of a hamster character for the player in the next BYOND game I'm working on.

My question is.. (I suck at talking/explaining)

Is there a certain color an icon should use (in dream maker), if its going to end up being a custom hue picked by the player (in dream seeker?) Or does it not even matter what color everything is (in dream maker) for the icon that's going to be given a different hue most likely by the player (in dream seeker?)
Best response
that's not what I'm asking, I just mean is there a certain color the icon should use if its going to be changed a different hue by the player? Like black, white, or does it not matter at all?
I mean I want to hire someone to make two fur designs and eyes and hair that will be layered on top of a player in the character creator of my game

should I tell her to make it be a certain color (since the players are gonna change the hue of everything anyways in the character creator's hue select) or does it not matter what color it is at all?

I already know how to change the hue of stuff thats not what i was asking
hue shifting doesn't require a set color.

If you are doing additive blending, it needs to be black.

If you are doing multiplicative blending, it needs to be white.

But you can work out hue rotation on anything if you understand the math of coverting RGB to HSV.
If you use byond's built in color var, They should be black/white where white becomes the exact color you set with the var and anything darker will become darker shades of that color.

https://i.imgur.com/Pl6ZX3m.png

That being the base icon on the left, and then ones set with "#FF0000", "#00FF00", and "#0000FF" respectively. "#FFFFFF" would leave you with the base icon and "#000000" would give you a black square.

If you write your own coding to change the colors then the icons will be need to be colored based on your own coding.

Like Ter13 said, if you use additive colors where you add the color to the base icon, Adding 200 red to a color for example, you'd want that icon to be colored more darkly. Because anything you color black ("#000000") is going to become ("#C80000"). And if you had something colored in a lighter shade of gray like say... "#323232" (50,50,50). If you add 200 red to that, you'd end up with with the lighter shade of "#FA3232" (250,50,50).