In response to Go-jin769
Go-jin769 wrote:
Omg whos gonna sue me? Who? Bird studio is Akira Toriyama.
So Shueisha? Its gonna be one of these two. not toei and bandai who have a history and if they do i will win. The have license from Bird Studios/Shueisha. Shueisha owns dragonball z and when the last time shueisha sued anyone?

About three months ago a major BYOND DBZ game was issued a cease and desist by Funimation.

So... Legal action was taken recently.

About a year before that there was another one.

About four years before that there was a wave of them.

C&Ds have been issued with some regularity against fangames hosted on this site. I can't even.
I found out who is the main guy. It took a minute. Im an animation major. So knowing these things is important
Its Shueisha they own Dragon Ball Z. They own Akira Toriyama Because Toriyana is an employee of Shueisha.

So if a Byond Game got a cease and desist by "Funimation"
I would had to have done their Job that day. Fault it. Funimation can't so noting. Fumimation dont even make crap. they are a license holder of a license holder of a copyright holder.

Look
Akira Toriyama's Bird Studios/Shueisha.
they are the copyright holders and since Akira Toriyama
Is a employee of Shueisha. This means Shueisha Owns Dragonball Z.

Shueisha gives license to Toei Animation. Who would then give limited licence to a game studios, media artist, and distribution companies like FUNimation.

Toei, Bandai, or FUNimation send out C&D to anyone with DBZ. They don't even look at the content. They just assume you're using their content With are trademarks of there company. A trademark is a symbol that let consumers know that the product comes from "this" company.
Goku can not be a trademark of Bandai, FUNimation and Toei. they can't sue this is America they wont win.
License holders cannot sue for a third party.

unless the C&D comes from Shueisha, they come at me bro. Ill buy their lawyers a suit.
*eats popcorn*
*off in the corner trampling the devs that are beneath me*
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
*off in the corner trampling the devs that are beneath me*

bro wtf you know you're supposed to rally the troops first Micke didn't even lace his tramplin boots yet
In response to Go-jin769
Go-jin769 wrote:
They flag team four star Every year ain't won yet.
and they actually stealing they studios animation.

This is completely unrelated to the legality of fan games. Team Four Star makes parodies, which are technically covered by the fair use act's muddy as hell ambiguity. They also have their attribution disclaimer at the beginning of every episode to reinforce this.
In response to Reformist
Reformist wrote:
Go-jin769 wrote:
They flag team four star Every year ain't won yet.
and they actually stealing they studios animation.

This is completely unrelated to the legality of fan games. Team Four Star makes parodies, which are technically covered by the fair use act's muddy as hell ambiguity. They also have their attribution disclaimer at the beginning of every episode to reinforce this.

Its a discussion about rights not just games.
And, team four star is copyright infringing, The only reason team four still alive is cause there is no one to take legal action. Meaning Toei nevers follow all the way through they just flag and call it a day. Fair use or not, they still have the right to take their content off, of anything, for any given reason. Disney close a school because the school drew mickey mouse on their wall. That's fair use, yet Disney still snatch them. Just as soon as Toei follows through team will lose and lose bad.

Its in the law only the copyright holder has the right to make you remove content.

So anyone who let FUNimation, who only has a license to distribute, who don't even make their own products, give you a cease and desist letter and you went for it. That a moron.

Anycase I email FUNimation's legal dept. We'll soon see whos right. I'm that confident. plus I already studied copyright law. Copyright holder and licence holder are two different things.

You got manga on your page and you let toei take it down you a moron. Is I make a comic and I give you right to make a show, work you make(animations, sound, logos,) belongs to you. But the characters and story belongs to me. "Animated Goku" is a trademark of Toei animation because Animated goku Didnt exist until Toei's artist animated him. so when you see a animated Goku you know he came from Toei. That what a trademark is. A symbol, design, or character that lets you know that this product comes from this pacific company. No other company animate goku. But Goku the orange gi, martial artist, sayian is a Trademark of Shueisha.

Funimation suing you for dragonball z is like bandai suing you for power rangers.
...You do realize that Dragonball Z isn't owned by Akira Toriyama at all, right?

His manga is called Dragonball. Dragonball Z is the name of an animated feature adapted from his manga. He licensed the rights to a company to adapt the second major story arc from his manga Dragonball. That company was Toei. Toei licensed the rights to produce graphic novels to Viz media, and the rights to distribute and monetize Dragonball Z exclusively to FUNimation in the international market.

You have zero idea what you are talking about, and it's honestly taxing to hear you pontificate about stuff that you clearly know nothing about.

This is what Toriyama owns:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball

This is what FUNimation has licensed from Toei:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z

Copyright and trademark are not the same thing.
This is my new favorite thread.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

This, is hard to say for certain too. Did he create Dragon Ball and then it license to Shueisha, or did he do it as work-for-hire?

If the latter, that's like...corporate ownership.
In response to Ginseng
Ginseng wrote:
This is my new favorite thread.

In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Ter13 wrote:

This, is hard to say for certain too. Did he create Dragon Ball and then it license to Shueisha, or did he do it as work-for-hire?
If the latter, that's like...corporate ownership.

Oh!! Looks like Somebody has some intelligence.
Im have a bachelor degree from the art institute of Indiana for media arts and animation. I am both a 3d and graphic artist. In byond you can find my work in DBOII.

Work for hire is the first lesson you learn, that cause the art college did us the same way. The first thing you sign is an agreement, saying that A.I. will sell your classwork as work for Hire. Anything we make for college belongs to the college.

Likewise, Akira Toriyama made Dr. Slump For Shueisha's mange contest call Shounen Jump. When he got success, he made his owns studio called Bird Studio. Cause Tori means bird in Japanese.Then as a employed artist under Shueisha. Toriyama made dragon ball z. This makes the sole owner and copyright holder, Shueisha. They are like the Marvel Of Japan, who didn't sell out to a Mickey Mouse company.

In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
...You do realize that Dragonball Z isn't owned by Akira Toriyama at all, right?

His manga is called Dragonball. Dragonball Z is the name of an animated feature adapted from his manga. He licensed the rights to a company to adapt the second major story arc from his manga Dragonball. That company was Toei. Toei licensed the rights to produce graphic novels to Viz media, and the rights to distribute and monetize Dragonball Z exclusively to FUNimation in the international market.

You have zero idea what you are talking about, and it's honestly taxing to hear you pontificate about stuff that you clearly know nothing about.

This is what FUNimation has licensed from Toei:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z

Copyright and trademark are not the same thing.

Ha you're right... So did you research this. like today?

Viz does not make manga they just translate it.
Toriyama makes the dragon ball z manga but I didn't know Dragon ball Z was created by Toei first then the manga came.
Toriyama didnt even design the characters like Vegeta.

Hmm.... well even a blind squirrel can find a nut.
That was useful information. Welp Vegetas out, Freeze to lol At least I know now.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z
Has better information btw.

well make a dragon ball game, Problem solved.
In response to Go-jin769
Go-jin769 wrote:
Hmm.... well even a blind squirrel can find a nut.
That was useful information.

I don't just spout opinions ignorantly. It's not something I do often.
Well im glad i had this debate. Cause i would have made a big mistake. I can't even use the word Sayian now. Smh.
I figured world focus on a new training system over the story... but game without a Super sayian might be pointless but enough animations and code I make not need dbz. just the movements
Page: 1 2