ID:2309100

As everyone in most likely all communities know; source stealing is a problem but it's more of someone's own fault that it's a problem. Either someone like myself is trying to make time to learn how to program or learn how to icon, or someone like myself trusts someone sleazy over the internet to help us while we perform our daily duties.

I think that there are a few ways to prevent this and I can already see how the argument will go so I have prepared a few answers for the debate already on why I think that somewhere on the BYOND page, there should be something similar to TeamViewer. That way if someone really does plan on helping said person when said person doesn't have time or doesn't know what they're doing; they can watch the person, maybe learn a few things and view as they edit the source; instead of doing the transfer or edit outside of BYOND as a whole. A source depository for each individual account like maybe up to 2GB space would be helpful too?

Any ideas are helpful.
Discord is free and has screen sharing now.

At the end of the day anyone you send your files to has the ability to then send those files to anyone else and you can't stop them.

You simply need to make sure you're sending them to people that won't do that, people that have no reason to.
But how simple is that though; to judge a character behind a computer screen?
It isn't simple. One of your best options is to find programmers for hire. You're much more likely to find someone trustworthy if they are only looking to be hired for pay than if they are doing it for free.

If you want a true solution, it would simply be to design your source so that you don't need to send it to every programmer that ever touches your source to get them to do stuff. Make it modular so that you can have programmers design specific things for it. Also, sending a partly-complete source won't mean much once you keep working on it and make it more complete on your end. Your game will be superior and more complete.
Most SVN, git, and mercurial depositories will let you store files privately, usually for a nominal fee. You'll be much more efficient than having to share code through dropbox or whatever. You can even have a public portion of code and ask prospects to send you edits of that prior to giving them the whole enchilada if you're really concerned about privacy.
Nah it's not me who's concerned about it; I'm not selfish. Then again it was just an idea; didn't know people would be so against it to be honest.