ID:2310836

BYOND Version:512.1393
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 61.0.3163.100
Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary: When attempting to animate a filter, a "bad arg name" runtime error is produced.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
  1. Open a DM environment
  2. Attempt a filter animation (as seen in the snippet below)
  3. Observe the world log

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
// where src is a mob
animate(src, filters = filter(type = "outline", size = 2), time = 15)

runtime error: bad arg name 'filters'
proc name: test (/mob/verb/test)
source file: Test Environment.dm,21
usr: (src)
src: Guest-737953559 (/mob)
src.loc: the grid (1,1,1) (/turf/grid)
call stack:
Guest-737953559 (/mob): test()

Expected Results: For filters to be able to be animate-able.

Actual Results: Attempting a filter animation produces a runtime error.

When does the problem NOT occur? N/A

Workarounds: None that I know of.
Altering the filter list as an animation step isn't currently supported, although I agree it should be. I'll add that.

As an important note, be aware that simply adding or removing a filter will not cause that filter to be animated into or out of existence. Animation is currently only done between filter stacks where all of the filter types are identical (e.g., during a step, both the before and after stages have an outline followed by a blur). So once I make the animation change, you'll likely have to do a time=0 step where the filter is added with size=0 before you can balloon it to size=2.

I say "likely" because I may try to work out a more flexible system, so when comparing filters I'll animate between the Nth filters of the same type, and have a way to understand how to animate between a filter and nothing. However it also seems likely that if I do so, the "vs. nothing" animation for the outline filter will impact alpha rather than size, which also makes sense for the drop shadow filter.
In response to Lummox JR
I see. I'm just now seeing the reference entry under the animate proc. Thanks for the heads up.