ID:2324232

Descriptive Problem Summary:
Students trying to run code and has no errors. However, it pops up a Chrome window and a BYOND dialog box with the following:

Welcome BYOND! (5.0 Public Version 510.1347)
Logging in...connected
BYOND pager is not logged in. Connecting as Guest.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Ctrl K and Ctrl R

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
none

Expected Results:
The program to show up and run.

Actual Results:
As written above

Does the problem occur:

Every time? Or how often?
Every time

In other games?
Only the newer games (past 3 weeks)

In other user accounts?
Yes

On other computers?
Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
With the older games

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Not sure

Workarounds:
I haven't found any yet.

Sorry for the late reply, but this issue is probably from some firewall(s) blocking BYOND. It seems to be a pretty common issue, actually.
Any idea why it would work for weeks and then not work??
Moved to BYOND Help, since this isn't a bug. It's something wrong on the computers running BYOND.

It sounds like what may be happening is that Dream Seeker and the BYOND Pager can't talk to each other. Usually that means a firewall hasn't been properly configured to allow these programs to access both the public and private network. As for why this would suddenly happen, a reconfiguration of the machines running BYOND would be a highly likely cause.

I'm really not sure what you mean about older games being fine, though. This issue should be the same irrespective of what game is running.

Also, when a Chrome window pops up, what does it say? What address is it pointed to? There's no reason at all that should be happening.

My overall recommendation is to uninstall and reinstall BYOND on these machines. With the Chrome window popping up, I also can't help but wonder if something has messed up the embedded browser--which again would point to a machine reconfiguration. IE 11 should be installed on the machines as well, and if for some reason it's been removed completely that could potentially pose a problem.
In response to Glcstanley
It sounds like someone (some admin person) went in and blocked them at some point.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
It sounds like someone (some admin person) went in and blocked them at some point.

That sounds like a reasonable guess as well. It would be well to talk to whoever administers those machines and/or the network, and find out what changes happened at the time this started occurring that might account for the problem.
Glcstanley wrote:
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Students trying to run code and has no errors.

When you say the word student, are you referring to a public school student? Because if so, public schools have a firewall in place that will stop Byond from working so, you may wanna look into that if that is the case.