ID:2326970

Resolved
BYOND Version:512.1398 and onwards
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 63.0.3239.84
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
This is a bug that we have been encountering for Space Station 13 recently (Goonstation source). Our server is running the latest BYOND beta .1399.

Connecting to our server using BYOND versions 512.1398 or 512.1399, players encounter a problem where the game view freezes. That is to say that all of the ingame graphics stop updating - the dreamseeker window itself continues to function (Drop downs, right clicks, text box, etc. all work).

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Unfortunately we haven't been able to figure out a reliable way to reproduce this bug. Sorry!

Expected Results:
The game runs normally - The client's game view continues updating.

Actual Results:
The client's game view hangs, graphics stop updating. The text portion of the dreamseeker window continues to function normally. (You can still communicate with others)

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? : Unpredictable time frame, sometimes it happens immediately and sometimes it takes a few minutes.
In other games? : Not tested
In other user accounts? : Yes
On other computers? : Yes

When does the problem NOT occur? / Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions?
When the user's BYOND client is running 512.1397, the game works properly. I'll bet that 512 versions under .1397 work as well, but I haven't tested them personally.

We've had this issue for absolute ages on /vg/station and the best we could do is tell our users to not upgrade past 510. It's really annoying because we have no idea what causes it, and we're waaay more prone to it than other SS13 servers.

Though, I'm pretty sure it's been reported before.
This has been happening for years... http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1214863
Probably before that, but search is... bad.
If you're seeing something new in the newer 512 builds, though, I wonder if some of that might not be related to id:2326765 which has a pending fix. So I'd suggest retrying on 512.1400 when that's out, which I think now is likely to be Monday.
512.1400 is out, so please retest with that.
Just had a few players test 512.1400. This issue appears to be fixed now! Thanks Lummox!
Lummox JR resolved issue