ID:2330320

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
One of the problems encountered when distributing BYOND projects is that Dream Seeker always phones home, even if you don't need it to. This trips up people's firewalls and leaves a bad first impression. It also causes issues such as this one: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2324232

Using client/authenticate = 0 will stop this during start up. However, using Microsoft Message Analyzer I picked up the following while DS was closing:

What is this data, what is it used for, and how do I disable its transmission?
Maybe it has something to do with Steam?
Does anyone remember which build the Steam API stuff was added?
bump
In response to Metamorphman
Metamorphman wrote:
Maybe it has something to do with Steam?
Does anyone remember which build the Steam API stuff was added?

That ip address is owned by byond.com, a Steam api request would likely go directly to steam.
bump

One guess I had was that maybe it's for telling the hub that that game is no longer live

Or for tracking user ID info for sticky bans.

The first one shouldn't happen when the game isn't being hosted, and the second one shouldn't happen if client/authenticate=0. If it's either of these then please move this over to feature requests (proposing they only happen when necessary).
I went ahead and moved this into Feature Requests in the hopes it'll get noticed or some kind of reply.
Not really sure which forum it belongs in but the gist is I'd like the ability to disable this data being transmitted, so Feature Requests seems more appropriate.
I understand you have other priorities but it's been two months since this was posted.
Would it be possible for you to tell us what is being sent at least? Surely you already know.
bump
lummox i will throw 50 bucks ur way if u can answer meta
I'm a patron pls grant my wishes
Sorry not feasible, come back in 20 years.
I haven't answered this yet because to be honest, I haven't looked into it yet. This is going to be a pain in the butt to diagnose. It's undoubtedly hub-related, but the cause is probably buried pretty deep. It's going to take some time intensively looking into it to find out what's it is.