ID:2341979

Do you think that someday, we can achieve making games in 3D? I'd like to see BYOND rise up.
Not online games, even then it struggles in single player mode ( http://www.byond.com/games/Ter13/DawnCasterInfestation ) . Unless it's rewritten from the ground up.
DM isn't even multithreaded. It's safe to say that it is highly improbable that 3D games will ever be available on it.
It will never happen.
In response to BLazerules
Technically we just have to use lots of spawn() I think to make the thread multiple, see enhanced image:

Is it really a 3d game or just a layered 2d game

In response to Eternal_Memories
Eternal_Memories wrote:
It will never happen.

I guess nobody believes in attempting to do the impossible.
In response to YugiMotou111
YugiMotou111 wrote:

Your right. What the community lacks is drive and willingness to break the boundry of the region of thought that compels us to stagnate ourselves with the belief we can't surpass our own limitations and create a world that is BYOND belief.
In response to BLazerules
i made tutorial
See "The all-time top list of rejected features" in this pinned post by Lummox JR in Feature Requests:

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=195168

3D and multithreading are both in there.
In response to Aspireher00
Aspireher00 wrote:
YugiMotou111 wrote:

Your right. What the community lacks is drive and willingness to break the boundry of the region of thought that compels us to stagnate ourselves with the belief we can't surpass our own limitations and create a world that is BYOND belief.

While i totally agree with the sentiment here, we gotta draw a line between standards and limitations.

BYOND games/developers collectively have a ludicrously low standard of quality, and that low standard tends to perpetuate itself for a number of reasons. Most of our 'developers' are complete programming novices, which isn't inherently bad, although not having a stream of experienced programmers coming into BYOND cripples the gross experience/talent of the community. Then there's the drama! Almost without fail, every time one of our developers actually shows a drive or talent that surpasses the standards of the community, it's almost as though half of the entire community has a collective jealousy complex and will hate on them(cit. Yut Put, NEStalgia, etc.) which often lends itself to the talented developers getting pushed away from the community, provided limitations don't do that first --- which brings us back to my original point.

Limitations are still a big handicap for BYOND compared to even other low-end engines. Even pseudo-3D like in ALTTP, as Yutty referenced above, which is 'technically' possible with DM, isn't really feasible for any application outside of prototyping/demoing because of the limited processing power and, to be frank, age of the bulk of BYOND's framework.

tl;dr: Yes, BYOND developers have a bad time with drive and aspiration, but even so that doesn't mean with enough willpower you could ever make DOOM: BYOND Edition.