ID:2347002

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
So I wanna download BYOND, but simply, I get this message from the website when I click on the Windows button to download the Windows version on my Windows PC. It's a security warning from McAFee saying it's very dangerous. Why?

Oh nvm I cant post picture but yeah it gives me a security warning telling me its very dangerous? Idk why. Please help, I want to play.

Oh also Webclient never works in anything for some reason.
Ignore the warning, tell it to fuck off, than email the company who made the antivirus scanner asking they remove the match since its a false positive.
In response to MrStonedOne
See, this is why I want an actual answer. Give me some proofs, I can't just not trust McAFee. Is there a mod or something?
Byond doesn't pay money to not get listed as a virus so byond gets listed as a virus.

That's how it works, maybe try getting a more reliable anti-virus scanner rather then one that triggers on unsigned programs. Either that or go donate 300 bucks to byond so they can get a program signing certificate.

61 out of 65 anti-virus scanners say its clean: https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/ 3766b499ad0fe2ec100285e39b55c13320df6ed99053d500a013e054579/ detection

go test your version by uploading it here: https://www.virustotal.com
In response to Hit0
Hit0 wrote:
See, this is why I want an actual answer. Give me some proofs, I can't just not trust McAFee. Is there a mod or something?

BYOND does not contain a virus. McAfee has produced a false positive.

And yes, you can indeed just not trust McAfee, because as antivirus software goes it's had a very bad reputation since... forever. Granted there's no such thing as perfect AV, but McAfee was never good.

I've moved this thread to BYOND Help because it's not a bug. There is no virus.
In response to Lummox JR
Awesome! Thanks for your advice and I will probably download it, and thanks for moving it since I'm a nub and don't know anything lol.
In response to MrStonedOne
I do believe you and sorry for doubting, but here it says McAFee says it's clean but for me McAFee says it's not... what?
Best response
Everyone on this thread has already told you that 1) it's a false positive, and 2) McAfee is trash. I don't know what else I can tell you at this point.

False positives happen in antivirus programs. They make mistakes. Especially the crap ones.
Well thanks lol, I downloaded it yesterday using the .zip file and no virus, proof that McAFee is trash, and if my dad asks me why I downloaded a virus program I can explain. Thanks!