ID:2348208

Chick-fil-A has never had a presence in my city, so I never got to try them until a road trip last year, and ever since I've been dreaming about their chicken tenders. Then I found out they were opening in my city--not just my city, but my town, not more than a few miles away from I live--and I had to wait till February 22nd. That day has come and gone, and I haven't been there yet. The reason: I was told traffic was going to be absolutely insane. So I wait. For chicken.

But while I wait, I had to fix still more versions of the infamous turf image hang. Gah! However I think finally, finally, this one is in the rear-view mirror at last. And in the meantime, a couple other issues popped up that I was able to address. So there's a new version out today, that hopefully puts all of those to bed.

A couple other issues remain, including one Ter13 just reported as sort of an aside to another issue, and that's going to take some more time and thought to fix. But, it's one where I have a test case right in front of me and I'm not utterly baffled as to why it's happening; the only real question is how to fix it, which will take some noggin work.

The fundometer is looking sad right now, so if you haven't become a Member or donated to BYOND yet, please consider doing so. BYOND needs your support, and it's greatly appreciated!
as sort of an aside to another issue, and that's going to take some more time and thought to fix.

Is that the wonky maptext issue with the new screen anchors? Most bugs, I can picture what's happening. That one left me completely stumped.

Also, Chick-fil-A cooks their chicken in peanut oil, which is supposedly hypoallergenic.

Turns out they use a cheap chinese peanut oil, which isn't filtered properly and leaves me looking like this after one of their sinfully delicious biscuits:

Lummox JR wrote:
The fundometer is looking sad right now, so if you haven't become a Member or donated to BYOND yet, please consider doing so. BYOND needs your support, and it's greatly appreciated!

The strategic choices of the byond is looking sad for years.

More benefits to members and I'll consider.
One of the reasons I like Fridays is because of "Development News" in all honesty. But, it under delivers most of the time. And I specifically mean by how the information is given.

Lummox, tell the world "What the feature is", "Why it's good/cool" with examples or estimations of improvements and then go into the "How" you are going to go about it, how it will be used and such.

I'm pretty sure I could go back to all updates and see all the many ways one can implement features to an engine or details about what you are doing on that but never why would an engine user actually care or what it lets us do.
I don't have a great memory, but if you ask me what we can do in DM today that we couldn't 2 years ago...I don't know what to say. Heck, I'm gonna go check soon.

Want money? Fix donations, let me donate specific amounts. Work on monetization features, how about implementing Subscriptions with a choice to choose a % of my choosing to BYOND? How about a virtual currency that we can define the name and value of it to each game?

EDIT To Add:
1- Look the the post above, Lummox's, you mention still dealing with the turf image problem and then also mention about other issues that popped up. What issues? You could had said more. Also, easy microtransactions would be nice which also let's me pick a % to donate to BYOND.

2- DM Is a 2D engine with Multiplayer built In, what new features and improvements have happened in the past few years in that side of things?
I agree that more publicity for all the big new features would help, but it isn't necessarily Lummox's job to do so. All the documentation and changelogs are out there for all to see. If you want more information about bug fixes and feature requests, you can simply read through the Bug Reports, Beta Bugs, and Feature Requests forums. Any community member could follow along, write whatever they want about the new happenings, and make posts. This would be easier to do if BYOND still had proper blogs, but the forums still work decently, if you actually check them.

That said, Lummox has actually made a post listing the features of 511 when that became the new stable version:
511 features in brief
Except when searching key words in the forums it takes hours to pull up a search.
Of course it is is his job to do so, if he wants to do something about it instead of hope. Hope does not pay bills nor quickly creates an attraction, nor a community nor influences people.

Yes, information is out there in the forums. I wonder what is the abandonment rate of DM users, the monthly clicks of the developer sections and forums? Is there even 5 new people creating something? And by new I'll make it that joined in the past 2 years? (I know there are people creating, but most of them are the very dedicated persons that have already been here for many years.)

Your recommendation depends on the willingness of others and still you have to hunt everything down.

Is it that difficult to add a bit more "fun/attractive" viewpoints to the features? And how about a "Release Notes" link with the sexy stuff that then links to the announcement post with the gritty details? All there, always there, quickly and easy to see and click.

Even the post you linked, which I saw a few minutes ago, it does not describe much of what a designer can do.
1- GamePad support
2- Animation performance improvements(by how much in what case?)
3- built in pixelated scaling(show a pic!)
4- built in in-game map scaling(? pic!)
5- map editor zoom improvements
That's about as much I can see that can be made more "attractive". The rest could be put in the "and more!" section.

I am in no way saying Lee should stop doing what he does, just that some features can be presented in a much more attractive and newbie friendly way and in all honesty in a dedicated link. People shouldn't have to hunt down so much, this is a niche inside a niche, it should be the opposite, should be upfront and brutally honest. It ain't a Dream to hunt down for information.

EDIT To Add: And yes, forum searching...sigh. The excuse to go make coffee!