ID:2353892

Code:

Problem description:

Hey, I was just trying to think of a way to use in game code and commands to access Dream Daemon and cause it to put a server up, and drop another server.

The goal of the matter is to have a system that can do Live Patches, and move players from one server to another, with seemingly no break in what the playable is doing (I.E. recent commands they might've pressed, or current state of character.) (There is currently a game that can do this on BYOND, and it is very impressive.)

Any help would be appreciated
You can use a central master server that uses startup() and shutdown() to put servers up and down at will.
So, I am currently using byondpanel as my shell server. Is there a way to do it with that?
I also saw a post that you commented on a few months back about shell calls, what exactly are those, and could they help?
I believe BYONDpanel limits the amount of games you can run.
Oh yes, the amount of games I am trying to run is within limits. I only run one game, and would have two on temporarily.

What I am curious about is, is there a way to migrate servers and do an update without the game every actually going down. (At least in the players eyes).

I know it is possible, as Curtain Call does it, but I do not know where to start.

The program they have will (From the player perspective), I will be completing a certain procedure, or in process, my screen will turn black for a second, and I will populate into the new world. That is it. I am on the updated server. To my knowledge, the ports don't even change. (I know it's a new server, because the players migrate individually, and the new server slowly begins to populate.)
If you haven't made any resource file changes you can upload the dmb and just reboot.
I get that. What I am trying to do is pretty much effectively reboot without the players even realizing the game updated/rebooted.

For instance, my game has a lot of AFK players that are doing certain things over night. I'd like to be able to update without inhibiting that process.

The startup(), and shutdown() thing would work, using link(), but you might have issues with those working on a shared server like you use.