ID:2362268

Resolved
BYOND Version:511
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 64.0.3282.119
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Large projects take 15 minutes to compile. I heard this is because of having many icon references in the code + putting icons in subfolders. But the project must be organized so putting them all in 1 folder is not good.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
Can't you cache the last known directory the icons were found or something to speed up compile time?

Actual Results:
Takes 15 minutes to compile on a 4.2 ghz cpu

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?

When does the problem NOT occur?
Never if your project is small enough.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Always occurred.

Workarounds:
I don't know any.

Thanks.
Disable the FILE_DIR option and reference your icons with their full path for starters. 512 has also dramatically improved compilation times, so you could also try using that.

For reference, Spires of Agartha has over 5,000 icon files and probably a million lines of code and it takes me less than 30 seconds to compile on 512, and about 2 minutes on 511.

If I enable FILE_DIR on a project that large and just change a few icon references to not use the full path I add another 2 minutes to the compile.
Nevermind. This is weird. I took all my code files from the main directory and pasted them into a newly created subdirectory called "Code" and now it compiles in just 10 seconds.
Lummox JR resolved issue