ID:2363804

Resolved
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Shift-F3 - Find Previous
Find atom/procs/verbs definition
Automatically close tab if inactive for X minutes.
Shortcut Editor.
Change colors of the rest of the panes.
Autocompletion.
Shortcut to Block comment/uncomment
Shortcut to Line comment/uncomment
Faster and adjustable editor (it's horrible to work with big icons)
Change the tab color with right click and an icon indicating the file type.
Accelerators (I do not know if this is the right name, but is to write for( and press enter and that turn for(var/n = 0, n <10, n ++))
Multiselection
Installed libs manager
Team7Star wrote:
Yeah but if only we would focus more on platform usability for players rather than more dev features the future of byond may be more bright.

1: Making it easier for devs to make great games would only expand platform usability for players.

2: The ide hasn't had a serious new feature in the past 3 years, its over due

3: Bringing up focus concerns in feature requests is unproductive and a waste of space, time, electricity, data, and carbon outputs. Please read this infographic on the Environmental impact of the internet and concider it next time you make a comment.
As a rule I really have no interest in dealing with omnibus requests, because it defeats the purpose of a tracker, so I'll close this issue. But I can give quick feedback on these:

YURIRAMOS wrote:
Shift-F3 - Find Previous

I like the idea. In practice it might be a pain but it's approachable.

Find atom/procs/verbs definition

There's already a feature request (one of yours actually) for expanding the Goto dialog and it's high on my list. id:2360367

Automatically close tab if inactive for X minutes.

TBH, I loathe this. As a developer I'd strangle someone who added it as a default feature to any editor I worked with. As an opt-in option, sure, but I can't really see enough people wanting this, ever, to be worth implementing.

Shortcut Editor.

Do you mean changing the keyboard shortcuts? Right now the whole DM editor uses several built-in accelerators and honestly this would be a royal pain to deal with. Very high work/reward ratio.

Change colors of the rest of the panes.

Seems like a lot of interface work for too little value.

Autocompletion.

This has been brought up before, but it's basically a non-starter. Autocompletion is hard. It requires analysis of the code, careful parsing of the current line being typed, and of course all kinds of interface foo to pull it all together.

Shortcut to Block comment/uncomment

I can see some point in that, but does that really come up a lot?

Shortcut to Line comment/uncomment

Same question but more so.

Faster and adjustable editor (it's horrible to work with big icons)

The icon editor could definitely use more love, especially in terms of speed.

Change the tab color with right click and an icon indicating the file type.

Multi-color tabs aren't even supported in our interface code (although it's something I always wanted to add). I see the point in this request but I don't know about its practicality in terms of the work/reward ratio. Icons indicating file type would however be far more practical, and relatively easy to implement.

Accelerators (I do not know if this is the right name, but is to write for( and press enter and that turn for(var/n = 0, n <10, n ++))

That's just more autocompletion.

Multiselection

Good gads the headaches. I can't see a compelling reason for this but I can see a hundred ways it'd complicate the interface. (That's the code editor though; the map editor already has multiselection, where it makes a great deal more inherent sense.)

Installed libs manager

The pager does this. Although it'd be handy for Dream Maker to send commands over to the pager to download a lib, update it, uninstall, etc. I'm open to something like that.
Lummox JR resolved issue
I'd use the hell out of being able to comment/uncomment multiple lines of selected code.

I'd rather have 'find/replace in selection' though.
In response to Lummox JR
You can't use a Open source IDE to recreate the Dream Maker? Is the whole byond stuck in that dung? I tested edit .dm in notepad++ and Atom, including compiling there, but the experience is incomplete and I had trouble losing an entire .dm file.
In response to YURIRAMOS
YURIRAMOS wrote:
You can't use a Open source IDE to recreate the Dream Maker? Is the whole byond stuck in that dung? I tested edit .dm in notepad++ and Atom, including compiling there, but the experience is incomplete and I had trouble losing an entire .dm file.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Besides, you forget Dream Maker has the icon and map editors to contend with, and an object tree, and library stuff. Plugging those things into an open source IDE would effectively involve ground-up rewrites.
In response to Lummox JR
The icon, map editor, and an object tree do not look like anything from that decade. You may need more people on the team, volunteering or hiring people, paying them with part of the donations you receive each month.
In response to YURIRAMOS
YURIRAMOS wrote:
The icon, map editor, and an object tree do not look like anything from that decade. You may need more people on the team, volunteering or hiring people, paying them with part of the donations you receive each month.

Dude, the donations aren't even paying for me.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Dude, the donations aren't even paying for me.

I think improvements for players matter more than improvements for devs right now. BYOND is a good enough engine already. Devs are already nowhere close to using BYOND's full potential so why add more unused potential? It won't get more players. But improving usability of the platform for players would. It's things from a player's perspective that are severely behind.

If you make the webplayer "just work", then make it the main way to join games on the website. Then, make the website the main way to be on BYOND. Phase out players thinking they have to download BYOND/pager to play and make that a legacy feature. Now players talk to friends on the website like social media. You could become huge like iogames.space. Make joining games faster, easier and less annoying for players.
In response to Lummox JR
You deserve the donations.
In response to Team7Star
+1 for Byond.io, I love play io games to spent my time. My favorite is www.Surviv.io
Yeah no making the pager/dreamseeker a legacy feature would pretty much kill SS13, so thats a very very bad idea.

However, moving to Scintilla would be beneficial. Box select, too, if yu don't want to change editors.
In response to YURIRAMOS
YURIRAMOS wrote:
+1 for Byond.io, I love play io games to spent my time. My favorite is www.Surviv.io
Hey good point he should register that URL and make it a webplayer-only version of the site. I wonder if Lummox is even aware of IO games popularity.
In response to Somepotato
Somepotato wrote:
Yeah no making the pager/dreamseeker a legacy feature would pretty much kill SS13, so thats a very very bad idea.

However, moving to Scintilla would be beneficial. Box select, too, if yu don't want to change editors.
Byond.com would remain unaltered, it would not affect SS13. He registers "byond.io" and launches a webplayer-only version of the site there. The cross-traffic between sites would only get SS13 more players. But he really needs to make the webplayer "just work". Moving to Scintilla will not get us even 1 new player.
I don't know what you mean by "just work". If there are issues with the webclient still, they need to be reported.
The can't edit icon above 256x256 needs to go.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I don't know what you mean by "just work". If there are issues with the webclient still, they need to be reported.

The webclient is the problem, low performance, visible download at the beginning, slow to download (at least for me, while it is fast on DS), user experience different from dream seeker, hard to customize, highly invasive advertisement, does not work on mobile phones and seems to have been done with a flash game mentality, when in fact we are already in another era.io, get in quick, have a pleasant user experience, call friends and have fun.

I think that games with webclient enabled owners must have forgotten to deactivate it. Provide ByondEXE for everyone It's a good alternative too, start the game directly from a shortcut on the Desktop without advertising the first few times, players want to ... play and have fun.
For my game, Webplayer downloads the resources, but then half the time freezes after downloading. If it does get into the game, many of the UI elements are missing or in the wrong place. Healthbar anchored to top left becomes in the center of the screen etc
In response to Team7Star
Team7Star wrote:
For my game, Webplayer downloads the resources, but then half the time freezes after downloading. If it does get into the game, many of the UI elements are missing or in the wrong place. Healthbar anchored to top left becomes in the center of the screen etc

I need bug reports for these. Especially things like interface elements anchored in the wrong place--those are fixable. For the download issue I'd definitely need to be able to investigate that and solve it.
Page: 1 2