Naruto VS

by Masterralphy55
Naruto VS
A New Original Naruto Fighting game!
ID:236475

Alpha 6.0

Fixes:

-Fixed a few small glitches and bugs.

-Fixed the missing animations from alternate colored characters.

Changes:

-Changed the alternate colors for most characters.

Additions:

-Added AI combatants. You can choose to fight an AI or watch an AI match if you are the only available player on a server.

-Added Shikamaru as a playable character.

-Added Sprinting and Dashing effects.

-Added Guarding effects.

-Added Shadow Shuriken Attack. (S+Forward)

-Added movement shifting to attacks, you now move slightly forward when attacking normally.

So there you have it. The new version is ready and rarin' to go with Shikamaru as a newly playable character, Whoo!

As you can see, I've added some stuff other than just Shikamaru, if you have any questions about the new additions and changes, please let me know. As for Shikamaru's special attack, I think it might be a little OPed but I have to see how the players take to it, so for now it stays how it is. I'd rather started with a character being OPed and have to nerf it than end up with a char that's underpowered and then people complain that he's OP later, AFTER the fix.

So, try it out and let me know what you think!
Should I know what NVS is?
Naruto VS a Naruto side scroller, Bravo is the Main programmer, It is likely Byonds best Side scroller currently.

It's PVP and pretty fluid and not a bad game at all, probably the only Naruto game on Byond which i Could play, not that i do :P, but never been a Naruto game fan.

http://www.byond.com/games/Masterralphy55/NVS
- Controls are broken. You can jump then move backwards, but not jump from a blocking stance. On top of that, jumping in general just seems unresponsive in most cases.
- Add dashing in all directions, and air dashing
- Moving backwards should not just be blocking, it should move you backwards normally until somebody attacks at you.
- These NPCs seem to punch me in the face in the middle of me punching them in the face.
- Add a training mode where I can fight against an invincible AI, with the option to have them idle or fight back.
- If you run the game, and let it sit idle for a minute, it goes to a screen that says PLEASE WAIT, MATCH IN SETUP, there seems to be no way to actually play the game once this happens.
- There is an output, but seemingly now way to chat? Seems unnecessary, most of the system messages it seems to handle could just be placed in the game-screen. And/or the addition of chat wouldn't hurt. (Nvm, found the chat button. I would recommend moving that to Enter)
- Should be able to maximize the window.
- Damage seems massively unbalanced. A single special attack does more damage than a 20 hit combo (like 50% health), and they're far too difficult to dodge (especially Naruto's who seems to turn and face you when you attempt to jump over it)
- This seems like the type of game that would benefit from only having a single server. You can instance off each battle arena and let people fight on their own or enter a global queue. As with SF4's arcade mode, allow people to fight through AI enemies, then when a new player attempts to start a multiplayer match, you can alert them about it, instead of having to sit around idle waiting.
- Instead of AI mode only starting a single fight, it should just be a non-stop stream of enemies when you win, and an option to continue if you lose.
- Sasuke's chidori should run across the screen even after it hits, the current animation looks lame, if you launch it point blank, it looks like nothing happens at all.
- Special moves cannot be interrupted, if I punch shadow boy when hes casting his shadow, it should cancel the attack.
- Holding down doesn't seem to charge my chakra
- Using the Esc key to pause the game would be nice, though probably complicated to setup

Also, though this game is technically a side-scroller, I would classify it more as a fighter.
Oh well, at least somebody seems to be making use of BYOND's new features, assuming this isn't just a mass of libraries.
How do you mean fix the controls?

Also I could add a training mode. I'll make it where the AI is pretty much immortal, but idle.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
- Controls are broken. You can jump then move backwards, but not jump from a blocking stance. On top of that, jumping in general just seems unresponsive in most cases.

I'll change it to allow jumping from the blocking position. As for it being unresponsive, Im not sure I'm experiencing the same thing you are.

- Add dashing in all directions, and air dashing

I could add it but I don't have any animations to match it. I'll see if I can come up with something.

- Moving backwards should not just be blocking, it should move you backwards normally until somebody attacks at you.

Same issue here, there are, unfortunately, no animations for walking/moving backwards.

- These NPCs seem to punch me in the face in the middle of me punching them in the face.

It happens all the time in boxing. Regardless, you used to be able to string combos together without getting attacked, but people complained that they couldn't defend themselves when pushed into a corner. I recently fixed the corner issue so I can change it back to stringed combos.

- Add a training mode where I can fight against an invincible AI, with the option to have them idle or fight back.

Will do.

- If you run the game, and let it sit idle for a minute, it goes to a screen that says PLEASE WAIT, MATCH IN SETUP, there seems to be no way to actually play the game once this happens.

Hmm, that's not supposed to happen. I'll check it out in the code, probably me being absent minded and leaving out a line somewhere.

- There is an output, but seemingly now way to chat? Seems unnecessary, most of the system messages it seems to handle could just be placed in the game-screen. And/or the addition of chat wouldn't hurt. (Nvm, found the chat button. I would recommend moving that to Enter)

Will do, I've been on the fence about whether it should be T, Enter, or Spacebar, enter seems to work best.

- Should be able to maximize the window.

I'll add the option but the map will become blurred upon resize, just a heads up.

- Damage seems massively unbalanced. A single special attack does more damage than a 20 hit combo (like 50% health), and they're far too difficult to dodge (especially Naruto's who seems to turn and face you when you attempt to jump over it)

The issue with this is that either the specials are overpowered and people always miss because some of them are pretty easy to dodge and in another case they're easy to use but are incredibly underpowered to the point that players either spam them or don't use them at all. Either way I'm going to catch shit for it but people seem to like it the way it is now. I'll try fiddling with it a bit more though.

- This seems like the type of game that would benefit from only having a single server. You can instance off each battle arena and let people fight on their own or enter a global queue. As with SF4's arcade mode, allow people to fight through AI enemies, then when a new player attempts to start a multiplayer match, you can alert them about it, instead of having to sit around idle waiting.
- Instead of AI mode only starting a single fight, it should just be a non-stop stream of enemies when you win, and an option to continue if you lose.

I'll look into these two options. I wanted to have a constantly running server that would just have constant AI fights until a player connected and then it would continue as you suggested, but I figured it would run high CPU for any of the hosts so I opted against it. I'll try adding it as a switchable option though.

- Sasuke's chidori should run across the screen even after it hits, the current animation looks lame, if you launch it point blank, it looks like nothing happens at all.

Narutos Rasengan, and Suigetsus blade spin do the same as well, I'll make it so that they carry the opponent across the screen.

- Special moves cannot be interrupted, if I punch shadow boy when hes casting his shadow, it should cancel the attack.

They will be interruptable in the future but I'm going to make it so that you have to do a certain amount of damage before they're interrupted, otherwise no one will be able to use their specials since a single punch will stall it.

- Holding down doesn't seem to charge my chakra
It charges faster, but I'll be adding a visual effect for it soon. was planning on having it for beta.

- Using the Esc key to pause the game would be nice, though probably complicated to setup

Not necessarily, if you're the only one on a server then the pause option can work fine. Otherwise though it'll just give you the option to forfeit the current fight. If you really need to leave the computer that is.

Also, though this game is technically a side-scroller, I would classify it more as a fighter.

True.

Oh well, at least somebody seems to be making use of BYOND's new features, assuming this isn't just a mass of libraries.

Thanks, the only library used in this, initially, was sidescroller, but I didn't like how it only worked for mobs and didn't allow things for objects or other atoms, so I pretty much rewrote all the internals. I think the only thing that remains the same is set_pos().
In response to Bravo1
Bravo1 wrote:
Same issue here, there are, unfortunately, no animations for walking/moving backwards.

Mirror the ones that you currently have?
The only animations I currently have are for running and walking aimations don't exist for the sprites I'm using, so if I reversed the animations on them it'd look really wonky. I can make it so that you can face away from your opponent freely but then I'd need a new key for blocking, If I made that hey the Down key, it would disturb the controls people have remembered, and I'd also need to find a new key for charging chakra/special attack useage
You wouldn't functionally be facing away from your opponent. You would graphically run away from them, but when you stopped or attacked or whatever you would just turn back towards them automatically.
Hmm.... that would work, but how would players block? I could add it to the down function so that holding down charges your chakra and blocks... but that seems a bit too overpowered, someone could essentially block and just constantly build up power while defending.

Then again, the hook type attack (combat down) bypasses defense, as do most special moves, so I guess it'd work out well. I'll try it out in the next mini-update and see how people like it.
Just make block automatically trigger if they're moving away from you when you attack. That's how it works in most fighters
True, I did intend to design the game similar to Guilty Gear, I'll tyr that out against an AI and see how it feels.
You, sir, just changed my mind on how I perceive a Byond game... I have yet to test it in an actual online setting (was playing alone) though.

I do have some mild complaints, but I haven't played a fighting game in a long time, nor am a veteran in the genre. So I cannot conclude what the awkward feel is?

I also ran into some runtime errors at the title screen, but I did not care to submit a bug report, as it's really late.

runtime error: Cannot read null.counter
proc name: damage (/mob/proc/damage)
usr: null
src: Neblim (/mob)
call stack:
Neblim (/mob): damage(null, 8, 0, 0, 2.5, 0)
Neblim (/mob): kubistrangle(null)
Kagemane()
runtime error: Cannot read null.counter
proc name: damage (/mob/proc/damage)
call stack:
Neblim (/mob): damage(null, 8, 0, 0, 2.5, 0)
Kagemane()
runtime error: Cannot modify null.frozen.
proc name: kubistrangle (/mob/proc/kubistrangle)
call stack:
Kagemane()

Other than that, I really respect your innovative approach, and am humbly curious to see your stated thoughts on either open sourcing this as a library or future tutorial on Fighter/Beam'em up games.
Hmmm, looks like Shikamarus special move isn't breaking properly (it uses a short loop to do the damage). I'll make sure it's fixed.

As for a library, this is mainly just Forum_Accounts Sidescroller library with some heavy modifications. What I could do is release a supplemental code file as a library add-on for SS.
In response to Bravo1
I'm curious about the modifications. I try to make the library easily accommodate the different ways people might use it, but it's hard to know what people will try. I mostly make guesses based on how I use it. Chances are the library could be improved to better support the kinds of things you needed to do.
stuff like set_state(), gravity(), can_bump(), movement(), etc.

Pretty much most of the procs you provide are overridden, except for the really essential ones like set_pos().
it going nicely i see...
haven't seen server up for awhile...
and everyone is disappearing XD