ID:2364866

How does the .exe packaging work?

Do I have to pay a one time fee [acceptable] or is it entirely at the discretion of the owner [presumably Lummox] as to if I get to package a BYOND made game into an .exe or not?

If I chose to create a commercial game [entirely original] using BYOND, what's the catch, and why is the .exe packager withheld?
If you make money selling the game, expect some percentage of that go to BYOND (similar to hub subs/credits). At least your players won't get splash advertisements anymore.

It doesn't cost any money. Just gotta talk to Lummox.
Why aren't there clear terms? Is BYOND really free as advertised? Why isn't the .exe packager public? Will I have to worry about these things if I choose to create a commercial game using BYOND?
So I had an idea after reading this: why not make a 'freeware' version of the standalone that still plays ads? It'll make distributing games a lot easier without cutting into BYOND's ad avenue.
Any answers on why the .exe packager is withheld?
It's not withheld if you make an original game, request permission, and then go about proving that.
My favorite part of every game engine is when I have to request the ability to easily distribute my game from the engine developers XD

In response to Airjoe
Airjoe wrote:
My favorite part of every game engine is when I have to request the ability to easily distribute my game from the engine developers XD

^
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Airjoe wrote:

^

^, but it also is being developed by only a single person( and it's his right to keep it that way if he wants) that is earning what is possible through what means are possible.
Well generally you'd have to license the engine anyway if you wanted to actually make money off it. So really the only problem is if you want to do a Ludum Dare or something like that. And even then, all you have to do is ask, which isn't the end of the world.
I don't like that the ability to distribute a game made with this engine is conditional. I don't like that the ability to distribute my game can [theoretically] be taken away at any time at the whim of BYOND's ownership.

Not BYOND doesn't have a right to do so, but it's an unattractive prospect. I'm interested in developing games with BYOND using professional art, but lack of clear terms insofar as availability of the .exe packager goes is discouraging.

Of course, I understand that the BYOND developers have to make money as this is a business first and foremost. I'm willing to pay a one time fee or a subscription fee as with Unity. I want complete control and autonomy over my work and my game(s).

I can see that other original games have been successful (Nestalgia, Eternia/Spires) and these seem to be tied closely to the BYOND subscription system. I can see also that both Land of Fire and Severed World have moved off BYOND so I may choose to use Vylocity instead.
In response to Fenoopy
To be fair, you can always "distribute your game" without packaging the executable files (.dmb, .rsc, etc.) as an .exe, instead as a game that requires BYOND to be installed. That ability will never be taken away from you even if BYOND dies.
That's true, but you and me both know it isn't ideal.
If ur gunna make ur own exe can't u just make ur own installer that just installs byond and ur game plus checks for new versions

There's prob a bunch of tutorials online for this
Which begs the question, if it's possible to build an .exe regardless, why withhold the program as opposed to selling the rights to use it to developers [through a subscription program as with Unity or a one time payment as with Game Maker Pro]? Is there a reason I'm missing [not that I'm questioning the creator's right to do so, just that I wonder why]?
There's also a way around splash screen advertisements as well if you know what you're doing ;)
Compile2Exe #513