ID:2365244

I am trying to run Space Station 13, but when the game launches the screen is black and says:
"Dreamseeker is too out of date, please use version 512"
I am currently using the newest stable version (511.1385) and I have tried using the beta but it will not run on my computer (Windows Defender keeps blocking something even though I authorized it to run the beta). I use Avast Antivirus but it does not see any issues with BYOND. What should I do?
Find out what Windows Defender is blocking, and report the false positive. Tell it to stop blocking that. Does it give you any specific messages as to what it's blocking?

In your firewall rules, you also want to make sure that byond.exe, dreamseeker.exe, and dreamdaemon.exe have full access on both the private and public networks. And if there's a setting for whether the system looks at a hash of the file to make sure it hasn't changed, you need to disable that setting so updates will work properly.

Avast is also past its prime at this point. I no longer consider them good. It's possible that Avast is what's causing the trouble, because it caused trouble for some past versions, even though it says otherwise.
https://imgur.com/a/Gujtt8j
I followed your steps and this is what comes up now (this is with the beta). I was able to play SS13 yesterday, the issues only started today.
That looks a lot like you have a permissions problem in that folder. Go to your C:\Users\Nadia\Documents folder, right-click BYOND and open Properties, then go to the security settings. Click Advanced, and then you can change the owner.
Awesome, thanks a bunch! Would I change the ownership to System, Administrators, or myself?
yourself
I still have the issue even though I have changed the ownership of the general file, the pager file, the custom file, and the png itself. Is there anything else that could be the potential issue?
You need to change the ownership of the whole BYOND folder and everything in it. Also just in case, make sure you turn off the read-only attribute for everything in the folder and its subfolders (although that shouldn't be set).