ID:2366991

Hello,

Recently I have started hosting my own server using a modified Paradise code, famous in my country (https://github.com/Beat-Station/Beat-Station).

When my server started to grow I had some freezes but thought It was normal. However, certain day a group of people came to my server to Grief and then I have banned all of them. Right after, one of them went do my Discord and began to threaten me saying he was going to drop my server If I did not take the bans out.

Certainly I did not take out the bans, and right after that my server started to freeze to all players, including me as host, with the message “You are either AFK, experiencing lag or the connection has closed.”

When he do this, the dreamdaemon stop responding for like 3~5 minutes, and after like 2 minutes he can do it again. In this day, the attack lasted for like 2h.

I have found a temporary solution privating my server to only known players, and It seems to prevent the attacks. But I cant get new players this way, and everytime I turn public, after a certain time the freezes starts again.

I ask you, how is this possible? How can someone just come and freeze/drop my server as his wish?

Is there a program to do this? Is the problem in my code?

Can this person freeze big servers like the original Paradise?

And the most important, what can I do to prevent this?

I’m currently using Byond v. 512.1410.
If the issue isn't coming from the network side, and Daemon is freezing it indicates the issue is the game itself, there's likely something in the code that can be exploited to generate a lot of CPU and/or memory usage.

You could try viewing the profiler from Dream Daemon during the issues to see if it shows any obvious culprits.
512.1410 is out of date. I strongly suggest upgrading to a newer 512 build.

The freeze is most likely either something in the code being exploited as Nadrew said, or a generic DoS. You would do well to record the IP addresses that connect to you (at a network level rather than a BYOND level if feasible) and look for any correlations, then once you've isolated the offender, you could report them to their ISP.
I have changed the code to original Paradise and it seems that the freezes stopped.

There was probably a failure purposely placed in Beat! code.

Thanks guys.