ID:23683

Hello BYOND,

Missing the gameplay from HRH? Skin peeling from being unable to submerge in an RP environment?

I have the balm that cures you my friends!

http://www.accursed-lands.com

Accursed Lands (or AL for short) is a role play intensive (RPI) mud that revolves around social interaction, crafting and constant role play events run by the creators. The game is set in a very un-generic low fantasy dark age post apocalyptic world.

As a new player you will have access to three races:

Goblins -
Goblins are a small, scrawny race of bipedal omnivores with voracious appetites. They have large, wide eyes, large mouths, and large pointed ears. Reclusive by nature, they prefer to live in loose tribes in remote areas of murky swamps, shallow caves, or dense forests. Goblins are cunning and adaptable and they tend to fear and loathe the flying races. They harbor hatred for anyone better off than they are, and are in general a bitter race. Goblins are very superstitious, and tend to be fearful of anything they do not understand. They also possess a below average aptitude for magic.

Mysrra -
Mysrrae are fur-covered, bipedal feline carnivores, displaying many colors and patterns of fur. As a race, they are slightly below average in size and in strength, but are quick and highly agile. Mysrrae tend towards egotism, and usually maintain a fierce sense of personal independence. Most mysrrae consider fervent dedication to an idealized way of living to be one of the highest virtues, though some cannot cope with the intensity of such a life. They are usually very religious, and often believe with great fervor in the moral superiority of their race; this wins them few friends among neighboring cultures, though mysrrae can prove excellent allies for those that can tolerate their ideals. They possess a slightly above average aptitude for magic.

(Note: It has been stressed in the game that Mysrrae are NOT housecats, you will be rated badly for attempting to roleplaying as a typical anthro-felanoid.)

Human -
Humans are a large, strong race of bipedal omnivores, reaching an average height of slightly under two meters (6 ft). They tend to be social, though they lack the organization to create many large-scale governments; most human cultures remain quite barbaric and are never fully united. Most of their acts can be traced back to their pervasive self-interest; in the pursuit of their goals, individual humans range from quite resourceful to downright catatonic. Most human cultures tend to be superstitious and very fearful of the unknown. Humans possess a below average aptitude for magic.

(Above information taken from the information section of accursed-lands.com - http://www.accursed-lands.com/info/info.shtml)

Good role play will unlock other races such as the winged Halak and subterranean Molok.

The game has undergone heavy development since it's genisis in 1996 and has a gigantic overworld map complete with ASCII representation of your surroundings when outside.

Post in the comments section here to learn more or ask for tips.

I advise any new players to explore the tutorial area and get used to the parser.
Me like! Me like!
Jtgibson has competition!
Haha, no. Jt's Newtopia will be a totally different game, I think more emphasis will be placed on community and open endedness in Newtopia!

edit: Hazman, if you need any help getting started IM MulticellularOrg on AIM
's all good, Thorgio, I've met up with some peoples (who help me out a bit) and introduced a friend to it as well!
Awesome, good to hear you're getting into it. I am really iching to ask who you are IC but I realise how many unwritten rules that beaks :).

I'd still like to blabber to someone about the game though :(
Bumping!
Hrm, I am not a big fan of MUDs that have such an involved signup. I would prefer to plug and play, as it were. Likewise, it put me off when it said the MUD was not for newbies. Why would you want to discourage new players?

Anyway, the game may be decent, but since they make it so tough to even get in the door, I think I would rather play something else....
I'm not a fan of MUDs because they give me claustrophobia.
Don't worry Thorg, I won't tell if you don't :-P.
Just email me about it fred [dot] the [dot] fish [at] gmail [dot] com if you want.
The MUD discourages people who have never MUDed before because, basically, people take it seriously and get pissed off if people muck about on it. There's no 'write a 30 page essay about your character's life story' as there often is with hardcore MUDs (and most Shadowrun MUDs) but they still want people to have at least read the background story and their race's history.
Hrm, I am not a big fan of MUDs that have such an involved signup. I would prefer to plug and play, as it were. Likewise, it put me off when it said the MUD was not for newbies. Why would you want to discourage new players?

The MUD is very accessable in comparison to most RPI MUDs - You do not need creators to review your 10=page character essay to play - you can jump right in!

Character creation is simple and the parser is very easy to use.

Any warnings are there to stop people who aren't willing to role-play I guess.

Anyway, the game may be decent, but since they make it so tough to even get in the door, I think I would rather play something else....

Where is it tough to get in the door? ;)

1. Create an OOC name - just enter a desired name when it asks for your OOC name and if it's new it'll ask for further information.

2. It will give you an overview of the game world and ask for your e-mail before sending you a password to the provided e-mail address.

3. Get password and use it to log into your OOC name account.

4. As a first time player you'll enter into the newbie zone where you will be given unlimited time to get to grips with the parser and commands.

5. Whenever you're ready you can create a character. This is just as easy as answering a questionnare - no point balancing, no difficult equations. It's like in Morrowind - you're asked how your character would react to a set of events and skills are assigned.

6. You choose a starting point and are in the game.

Hope that helps!

Compaired to say, Aremeggedon MUD where the application proccess is:

1. Make OOC name, get password in E-mail.

2. Make character, balance stats, choose perks (read endless helpfiles on what perks do).

3. Write several descriptions for different situations.

4. Write a history for your character. Submit history, wait 2 days for history to be read, reviewed and allowed.

5. Log in and begin playing, killed by twink. Begin from 1.

I'm not being aggressive - I think you're right in being put off by the warnings! This information will help any other BYONDers standing at the game's gates.

Jmurph, hit me up at [email protected] if you have any questions. I really want to help the playerbase grow and dispel any misconceptions.
Also, people don't take it too seriously, would you believe Accursed Lands was the first MUD I ever played?

In short, just be ready to put some effort into RP.
Ah, it's not as bad as I thought, then. I erroneously assumed that you had to wait for the password only to submit a long bio, etc.

But then again, most RPI are less RP and more drama ;-)
Jmurph wrote:
Ah, it's not as bad as I thought, then. I erroneously assumed that you had to wait for the password only to submit a long bio, etc.

But then again, most RPI are less RP and more drama ;-)

I won't lie to you - there are people in AL who are all about the drama.

For example, at the moment I am involved with a creator run event, it's awesome, just like Pen and Paper Role Play, the creator sets up a series of encounters with a storyline and introduces them into the world - we the players react as we wish and drive the plot forward! Awesome, yes?

Well these drama role-players decided that because they aren't at the center of the current RPE they are going to make every effort to hijack it. This includes:

* Making up fake background to do with the event.
* Claiming things to have occured that havent.
* Claiming to be chosen by a certain NPC in the event to do something.

It's highly stressing and unfortunate.

The final act of the even is this Friday. It could be a good way to get in on the theme of the game to turn up and be involved!

I don't need to mention of course that this is a very small fraction of the community. Perhaps by inviting BYONDers over to gain some ground we can turn the tide on the drama makers!
Bumping for great something.