ID:2371645
 
not long ago I experienced a burst of nostalgia for some old BYOND games and wanted to try downloading some again. unfortunately, the only traces of them that I could still find are on Wayback machine.

I believe someone said that old games are still hosted on the Server, yet I can't seem to find any way to get them. So I wanted to make a post asking if it was still possible to get these old games, and if it is then how?

Hippie Killer 2.0 by Bobthehobo: https://web.archive.org/web/20061204052131/http:// games.byond.com/hub/Bobthehobo/HippieKiller

Beach party by Invisible Kid: https://web.archive.org/web/20051126235017/http:// games.byond.com:80/hub/InvisibleKid/BeachParty

IALO by Kyuukei: https://web.archive.org/web/20061204061504/http:// games.byond.com:80/hub/Kyuukei/ItsALivingOnline

Icon Fantasy by Einaeshin: https://web.archive.org/web/20060206095729/http:// games.byond.com:80/hub/Einaeshin/IconFantasy

Granted, there are far more games I want to get, these are just some of the ones off the top of my head. I know Wanabe's Resident Evil game is another I would love to get my grimey little hands on. but sadly it has no Wayback entry.

Oh and another request I have is to see if Lummy could possibly upload the old BYOND archives in the name of preservation. mainly games related.
Only the ones from membership space are probably still around, the ones uploaded using the old direct upload option are probably either buried deep or gone.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Only the ones from membership space are probably still around, the ones uploaded using the old direct upload option are probably either buried deep or gone.

I see, well hopefully either someone with these host files pops up (very extremely slim chance) or Lummy comes and makes a post here if hes not busy
IIRC all the old direct upload ones were moved to provisional member space, regardless of whether the users were members or not.
I did some digging:

Hippie Killer was on a freewebs URL so it's probably good and gone unless some archive has that too. I checked the Wayback Machine and it isn't there.

Beach Party was stored elsewhere as well, on a domain I've never heard of.

It's A Living Online has no download URL listed.

The entire hub entry for Icon Fantasy was deleted at some point. There's no record of it anymore.
I found some MSN logs from 2007 with bobthehobo from when we were involved in SS13 together. I've sent an email to his gmail and hotmail accounts. Hopefully he still has access to one of them and we can get hippie killer haha.
In response to Murrawhip

Lummox JR wrote:
I did some digging:

Hippie Killer was on a freewebs URL so it's probably good and gone unless some archive has that too. I checked the

Wayback Machine and it isn't there.
Beach Party was stored elsewhere as well, on a domain I've never heard of.

It's A Living Online has no download URL listed.

The entire hub entry for Icon Fantasy was deleted at some point. There's no record of it anymore.

Damn, thanks for checking.

Lummox JR wrote:
IIRC all the old direct upload ones were moved to provisional member space, regardless of whether the users were members or not.

hmm. nothing backed up?

Murrawhip wrote:
I found some MSN logs from 2007 with bobthehobo from when we were involved in SS13 together. I've sent an email to his gmail and hotmail accounts. Hopefully he still has access to one of them and we can get hippie killer haha.

Thank you, I appreciate it :)
In response to Ss4gogeta0
Any games that used an external download URL wouldn't be backed up here. The one game that had no download URL appears it may have never been downloadable, or else the download URL was blanked at some point by the author.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Any games that used an external download URL wouldn't be backed up here. The one game that had no download URL appears it may have never been downloadable, or else the download URL was blanked at some point by the author.

i mean the ones uploaded on the BYOND member space, because I wouldnt mind digging through those
I don't remember where but I do know there was a post made on this very forum with a massive list of old games. I don't think the sources were available but I know the host files were. As for the games you're looking for, once I dig out my external hard drive, I'll browse through and see what I have. I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to sources that I'll never look at or touch. lol
In response to Genesismagician
Genesismagician wrote:
I don't remember where but I do know there was a post made on this very forum with a massive list of old games. I don't think the sources were available but I know the host files were. As for the games you're looking for, once I dig out my external hard drive, I'll browse through and see what I have. I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to sources that I'll never look at or touch. lol

it might have been my post of either source code or host files that I did
i'm looking for scarey game. why is this game so hard to find
In response to Redsonic
Redsonic wrote:
i'm looking for scarey game. why is this game so hard to find

Scarey Game is not playable using current BYOND versions due to Exited() and stuff. You can play, but there's bugs and you'll constantly receive errors.
The source code was never released as WildBlood kept everything pretty private.
This applies to all Scarey Games. 1, 2, Remake, etc.

https://i.imgur.com/GgDqUSE.png
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
The Exited() issue was already resolved in the 512.1442 release, which was days ago.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
The Exited() issue was already resolved in the 512.1442 release, which was days ago.

Right. Scarey Game hasn't been compiled in BYOND 4.0, if I believe. When any version of the available host files are ran, it will give an error when calling Move() that Exited() is not defined.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
Not in 1442, it shouldn't. 1442 fixed the Exited() error.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Not in 1442, it shouldn't. 1442 fixed the Exited() error.

Just updated to 1442, that's correct. I didn't realize the newest update came out.
hot damn. if the newest update makes scarey game playable again, im going to have to track down those host files. wonder if it works on webclient

miss that game so much, a real classic alongside TsiF

Login to reply.