ID:2371767

What do you think a great game NEEDS to have?

Why does Space Station 13 pull a large amount of players compared to other games on BYOND.

Is music/sound underrated?

Do you need GREAT art to pull players?
SS13 is not a great game, its quite awful, but it does have the nitch of being an RP game with alot of sandbox elements and tools, which allows for every server to have their own stories to tell.
I think you need a great gameplay for a great game. Here are the things for it:

1) A balanced game. You need real limitation for when something is better. Eg: No attacks that kill everyone instantly

2) It must be engaging. It can't be if all you do is hit a single button over and over again.

3) Multiple actions to perform. If all you do is one thing it isn't good.

Music and art do contribute but not as much as having a fun game and that needs good Game Design.
In response to Wanderer159
Wanderer159 wrote:
I think you need a great gameplay for a great game. Here are the things for it:

1) A balanced game. You need real limitation for when something is better. Eg: No attacks that kill everyone instantly

2) It must be engaging. It can't be if all you do is hit a single button over and over again.

3) Multiple actions to perform. If all you do is one thing it isn't good.

Music and art do contribute but not as much as having a fun game and that needs good Game Design.

While music isn't a big deal to me, I'd argue art plays a huuuuge part. Your art can tell a player at first glance exactly how "professsional" the game is. If I see a BYOND game with a nasty colored interface, or art that looked like it was made in 5 minutes, then I automatically assume the game was rushed and it will be trash. Very rarely will I actually play it.
In response to WorldWideDuelist
WorldWideDuelist wrote:
While music isn't a big deal to me, I'd argue art plays a huuuuge part. Your art can tell a player at first glance exactly how "professsional" the game is. If I see a BYOND game with a nasty colored interface, or art that looked like it was made in 5 minutes, then I automatically assume the game was rushed and it will be trash. Very rarely will I actually play it.

I mean that during gameplay people generally care if the game is good and fun or not, instead of the graphics and music. But it does show that if a game has bad graphics that it probably wasn't made by good, hard effort/work so it probably isn't very good.
In response to Wanderer159
Art is usually the first impression, gameplay is what sinks them in.