ID:2374034

When playing SS13, no matter the server, my ss13 will freeze up for anywhere between 20 seconds and 2 minutes. It happens randomly as far as I can tell. I have tried uninstalling and deleting all byond files, trying the beta, and restarting my computer. It is consistently freezing throughout all of that.

Unable to reproduce

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? I don't know if this was happening on 510 (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds: None no way to stop it please help me it's ruining my ss13 time

Moved to BYOND Help since this lacks anywhere near the information required of a bug report. This actually sounds like there's something potentially going wrong on your computer in terms of some other software interfering with BYOND--such as antivirus gone crazy.
As Lummox said, it's probably something on your PC. While running SS13, open your task manager and go to your processes tab and check to see what's taking up the most CPU usage at that time. That should tell you what's hogging your power. If it's only SS13 that's hogging up power, then take it up with SS13 programmers.
In response to Genesismagician
Another program hogging power is unlikely to result in the freeze described. More likely, something is interfering with the ability of the program to actually keep running, such as by blocking an operation. This is why I suspect antivirus is the problem.
I only have windows defender and I have already tried disabling that
Bump, this is the issue I am having. this bug has apparently existed for years @lummox JR http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=293081
In response to Jackrip
It's actually very unlikely what you're experiencing is that same issue. A lot of fixes have happened between then and now.
Okay, is there anything I can do to help? This usually takes up 25% of the average hour round of ss13 for me.

I have tried deleting cache, removing all folders relating to byond, and installing multiple versions of 512. This has been happening since 511 for me and I'm getting to the point of resetting my system
If it freezes at random and then after some time randomly unfreezes, something really strange is going on.

During the freeze, do animated icons continue to animate? Is it just map updates and chat and such that stop happening? If the icons animate but there's no longer any new movement on the map besides that, and chat has stopped also, then you're dealing with a severe network lag spike.

Does chat remain active but the map updates stop? If so, this is a known issue and a very old one, but I've never been able to isolate it. And if the map eventually starts working again, that's actually a very interesting clue.

Does the whole Dream Seeker process become unresponsive? In Task Manager, is it using up the max CPU for one process? If so, then this is a classic hang. No idea what would be causing it. But such things don't tend to resolve on their own, either, so I really doubt this case.

Do all map/chat updates stop including icon animations, but DS either is responsive or is not using any CPU? This would be a sign of something on your system interfering, and it's still my best guess.
When it freezes, the entire window freezes, windows overlays that grey window when things are unresponsive, and if I click on it I get a 'unresponsive' message from windows.

It seems to be completely random as far as I can tell. It can happen in 5 minute or 20 minute intervals. Tonight it has been happening every 5 minutes.

Im recording some footage
Example 1 - please mute the audio. It becomes unresponsive at 1:50 https://youtu.be/PZiH6lMk6ks
Getting another example uploaded for you now
Second vid, crash at 35 seconds https://youtu.be/xb1TqXwIhdM
After further investigation, I realized that the xenobio is somehow related to the crashing. I spent an entire round wandering the station with no problem, but a couple minutes into a xenobio round I crash.

I play xenobio all the time so it would make sense in terms of how often I am crashing. Could be the slime feeding consoles.
Playing ai (which only uses cameras to see) caused me to crash constantly
The static on AIs and slime feeding consoles use turf images (a lot of them), something which is historically sort of hangy. /tg/ has switched to vis_contents, but it looks like you're on Oracle, which I don't think has.

My suggestion to debug this further would be to install the same BYOND version that Oracle is hosting with to compile and run Oracle code locally, then test locally with the latest beta client. If it still hangs, update both server and client to the latest BYOND beta (1435 at time of writing). If that fixes it, use that as evidence to get the Oracle hosts to update. If it keeps happening, that's valuable intel towards fixing it.
Thank you very much for this valuable info! I shall try that!
Based on the video it looks like you're on a server that allows decoupling of client FPS. You could try setting client FPS to 0 to re-couple it, and see if the freezing/crashes continue.